Idea on tech research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea on tech research

Right now a civilization can be behind on research.
    In worst case scenario (I remember from one of my first civ (I) games) a spearman will meat a tank.

Pherhaps it would be a better idea if there's a main-path on tech-research that everyone must take. But there's a 2nd research level as well. On that level you can research some techs more deeply, and develop better weapons. Not like a musketeer is better then a spearman, but more like a faster musketeer, a stronger muskteer.

That way a civilization will never be very behind, but some civilizations can be more advanced. Like The Netherlands and the USA are more or less on the same level in research. Though the USA has better weapons though. (Of course that's a matter of money as well.)
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

I agree that you should be able to improve current technologies to the point where you can make regular units more efficient and whatnot.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think it would be a great (and simple) way to implement:
      - Technical research aiming to ameliorate a given unit
      - Different levels in the application of a same theoric discovery
      - Different paths taken to a same goal (also, shorter-term application, longer-term theory)

Maybe Firaxis would see this as a possibility, since they like "more techs" and bringing more with less. Maybe it also offers many possibilities for expansions.

PS: I hope you wont forget to put this in the cIV List
      Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

gimme the link where to put it (how far have I fallen, I used to be a TM for the cIIIv list)

I thought of the idea when I read how cIV will included multiple researchpaths to the same goal etc.

It shouldn't be implemented though like a very fast researcher can research quickly to space ships with ignoring all the side paths.
        In fact the side-paths should work seperated from the normal-research tree. Or pherhaps better,
        in cIIIv there is already a minimum time research needs to finish. (4 turns)

Say that a large civilization can finish the research of a certain techin 4 turns easily. In fact it even has research-power left-over. These left-overs can be used for in-depth research.

Of course one should be able to do in-depth research as well if it can't reach the 4-turns limit.
        For that reason there should be a new %-bar (like money, luxery and research) that determines how much research power goes to main-research projects, and in-dept research projects. (where main-research projects keep their 4-turn (or something) minimum)

Comment

I thought that in Civ3 the exchange of technologies went too fast as soon as the civs met. In our world, new inventions took time to filter to other countries, and not everyone liked them everywhere. Think about the people who'd like to forbid teaching of evolution *today*. Or how people were skeptical about the use of computers. Or stem cell therapy today.

Comment

I like it

I also had an idea on how to make tech-research to differ from game to game, but I'm too lazy to make the picture needed to explain the idea (already explained it about a year ago, but don't want to start digging after that thread)
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

How about if each city improvement generated upgrade points. When you reached a certain number of points, all city improvements of that type would receive a small upgrade. So for example, granaries would generate farming upgrade points. When you reached X farming upgrade points, all your cities would granaries would generate extra food (your granaries have become better ad preserving and storing food). Your barracks would generate military upgrade points. When you reach X points, all cities with barracks would produce military units +10% faster (your barracks have learned better more efficient ways to train soldiers).

Also, when you reach 50 points, you get the first upgrade. When you reach 200 points, you get the second upgrade etc...

This would be a neat way of representing how your civ gains experience and finds ways to improve how things work. It would also be a neat way for players to control what kind of civ they want. A player could build a lot of granaries if they wanted to have a civ that was really good at food production, or build a lot of barracks, if you want a militaristic civ.
              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

CyberShy, basing on the Directory link on the Civ4-List page, the List division where to put your idea is right here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=104244

It's also true for anyone who wants to bring his ideas to the List

Edit: CyberShy, confirm that you will go put your idea there and what you have about it. Otherwise, give me your physical address so that I can trucide you

Comment

Don't kill me! I already putted my ideas into that thread!
                  Thanks for supporting me in being lazy

Comment

Next time I don't give myself the trouble and I send the ambulance so that they taxi you at government's expenses

Comment

Working...
                    X