Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ4 thoughts--battle results, splashes, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 thoughts--battle results, splashes, etc.

OK, I know this is too late for Civ4 (from what I read here), but here are a few things from my wish list:

1. Bring back the totals of military losses and wins from Civ1 in some form. OK, I admit I am a warmonger and enjoy seeing a list that says I have killed 45 Babylonian infantry. (Maybe also list number of different types of buildings as in Civ1.)

2. I disagree with what I have read that says that the palace and the wonder splashes, etc. "take away" from the game or interrupt the flow. I like seeing different features--a Wonder splash is a reward for an accomplishment. I like seeing the between-game movies in some RTS games. I like building my Palace. Give us more of that stuff. If you don't like it, you can turn it off and/or hit Esc to get past it.

3. Give us some futuristic techs and units but not too much. Where the tech tree ends now (and in Civ1 and Civ2) is just about right--maybe go a little beyond that. And/or let there be more different techs from the present day.

4. Give the ability to rotate the map--even if everything is visible from all angles. Sometimes it helps to see a different angle so you can clearly see (or just enjoy) all the items such as text information and graphics.

OK, that's enough for now. Criticize away. (Sorry if I should have posted this on 4 different, old, buried sub-category threads.)
    Soli Deo Gloria

1. I agree.

2. Definately agreed. For those who don't like it can easily be turned off, so why should they deny it to others. If anything I want more rewards and eye candy, not less or none.

3. I don't agree ... there doesn't need to be any additional future techs, I'd rather they just expand the tech list up to the present day, not go too far beyond it.

4. Yes, definately.
    Railroad Capacity - Version 2

Comment

Re: Civ4 thoughts--battle results, splashes, etc.

1. Totally agree with military losses. I loved that stat from civ1 and miss it alot. We should be able to have lots of customizable stats, especially our military records.

2. I kind of liked the civ2 movies. I don't really like the palace. Anyway, this stuff should probably be in, but very easy to turn off permanently.

3. Civ has advanced with the times, e.g. stealth, internet, smart weapons, etc., and I think should continue to do so. Nanotech might be a good new tech, for example, and I think the tech tree should continue to extend (small steps) into the future. Agree with frekk too, tree should not really surpass existing technology (by much).

4. Sure. From what I read, there is definitely some amazing zoom function (which I'm not sure why it's really needed all that much).

Comment

I HOPE everything is visible from all angles, if we must use rotation, it sucks.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Sometimes in Civ3 you can't see a terrain feature behind a unit or part of a city or a city text window. There are other similar situations where you can't see all the features that you need to see.
          Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Sometimes in Civ3 you can't see a terrain feature behind a unit or part of a city or a city text window. There are other similar situations where you can't see all the features that you need to see.
            Well why then use 3D if it hinders sight? You see much better with a top view a la civ 1 than the 3D civ 3 view. No use rotating if you've got a nice top view.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare

Well why then use 3D if it hinders sight? You see much better with a top view a la civ 1 than the 3D civ 3 view. No use rotating if you've got a nice top view.
              I didn't argue for or against 3D. However, I am more than willing to accept a few vision problems in order to get a beautiful 3D picture. I like the Civ3 view.

But SURELY, you're not saying that you have to scrap the entire 3D concept in order to solve a fairly minor problem created by it. Something about throwing the baby out with the bathwater...... ("My house is dirty--buy me a new house!" --Krusty the Klown.)

But I do admit that I want enhanced viewing mostly because I like eye candy and I have played way too much Command & Conquer: Generals, which is full of terrain-related eye candy and has rotatable viewing.
              Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Working...
              X