Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should Civ IV's Graphics Look Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Should Civ IV's Graphics Look Like?

Just curious what people think, as quite a few don't like the "feel" of the graphics as they stand right now.

What games do you think have the best graphical feel that would fit Civ IV? Screenshots are certainly welcome to give people an impression of what you're talking about.

I personally love the look of Civ 3...
    I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

As I've said before... I'll take anything as long as it's not downright ugly and making things indistuinguishable, as it was often the case in SMAC. I'll take Civ1 or Civ3 or CtP graphics happily, they were all clear. I want the graphics to clearly show which tile is which and which tile is what terrain. That's as far as my must-list goes. Other than that, I don't really care.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        As I've said before... I'll take anything as long as it's not downright ugly and making things indistuinguishable, as it was often the case in SMAC. I'll take Civ1 or Civ3 or CtP graphics happily, they were all clear. I want the graphics to clearly show which tile is which and which tile is what terrain. That's as far as my must-list goes. Other than that, I don't really care.
        Excatly... er almost anyway. Couldn't stand the Civ I graphics...
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I couldn't stand Civ2 graphics, as I had problems with the map perspective in its isometric view. Civ1 graphics were not really beautiful, but I never had problems telling my units apart.

Comment

More realistic, I don´t want to play with a cartoon game... or at least like CtP2 or early Civ3.
            The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

I don't dislike the current graphics (yet), but if we had a clean sheet...

A Rome: Total War look would be good:

Or something along the lines of the newer Slitherine games: Gates of Troy/Spartan (though with more colour on the main map):

Gates of Troy City Graphics:

So basically fairly realistic and detailed buts still colourful (Civ3 had too much blue and green).
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Same here, but I'd add that a spheric Earth starts to itch me...
                Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

As I've said, I kinda like the embryonic Civ4 graphics.

My main issue is I think graphics better than Civ2 are a waste of system requirements. I see no point in animation. I want easy editability. I wouldn't mind a map like Civ1 or Colonization. I don't want realism, cartoony isn't too bad. I want the game to be kidfriendly, but I guess that doesn't mean I really want cartoony. I guess it should be fairly colorful. The maps posted in this thread and the embryonic Civ4 maps look good to me, but again I'd prefer they didn't feel the need for stuff that fancy.

To summarize, I'd prefer primitive, simple stuff, but the newer stuff I said I like looks good and I'll settle for it.

Comment

The graphics as they are now are much better than I expected the final version graphics to be... or at least so far from what I could tell from the pictures
                    Though I wouldn't mind to have Civ1 graphics either, as long as the gameplay is great
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

What Should Civ IV's Graphics Look Like?

What?? No poll!!!

I want some decent ( modern) graphics. Eye candy
                      RTW style
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Modern graphics = more system resources used. One of the things I love about Civ is that you can play it on lower-end computers. Civ3 runs pretty decently on a 300 MHz machine. At least it's playable. No, I'm not worried myself, if my machine can run games such as Doom3 or Half-Life2, I am sure it will run Civ4, but I will still be very happy if the system requirements turn out to be low.

Comment

Modern graphics = more system resources used. One of the things I love about Civ is that you can play it on lower-end computers. Civ3 runs pretty decently on a 300 MHz machine. At least it's playable. No, I'm not worried myself, if my machine can run games such as Doom3 or Half-Life2, I am sure it will run Civ4, but I will still be very happy if the system requirements turn out to be low.

I really don't mind cartoony graphics, I think that I'll get used to them with time, I just don't want monster graphics which consumes all system resources and makes scrolling, for instance, to be a pain in the butt.
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

What I meant by modern is, graphics better than Civ3.

Release is at least another year, I DON'T wont it to be able to run on a 300 MHz 'puter.

One thing 3D offeres though, is that you often can turn off 'fluff' to accomodate your personal preferences and your machines' preferences.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Indeed. 300 MHz systems are over 5 years old, it's a bit over the top to keep supporting that for Civ4. The people new PCs shouldn't have to suffer too much because of a few luddites. I think P3 would be a reasonable minimum requirement (that's also the minimum spec for Gates of Troy).
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X