Shoudl we wiki this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trifna
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I noticed that the script I am using for that wiki isn't particularly stable. It seems that when teh data file passes a certain size, older stuff falls out. As such, please consider this project on hold, as I can't guarantee that anything entered will stay there.
      The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
      And quite unaccustomed to fear,
      But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
      Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

so that's what happened...

Comment

Hmm, I hope you can fix it somehow, because Wiki is a good idea. A big upside of it is that Wiki is really easy to use, so people who have no prior experience with it can begin using it right away nonetheless, after reading just a minimal amount of info.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I think I fixed it. It seems I had left some directory settings at their default values. This meant that rather than saving any changes to my server account space, the script was saving them to the servers temp file. This meant that any time the server cleared its temp files, the wiki got cleared. I think I have removed this problem. I have made test changes, and I can definitely see the changes by looking for teh files within my ftp server access - something I could not previously see.

For now, please feel free to stress test this wiki. I suspect there may be other problems (nothing is perfect), but I think the key issue has now been resolved. If you post anything, I recomend keeping a local copy in case something bad happens.

To reiterate: PLEASE stress-test this. I wont know if its fixed unless it is tested after all.

Comment

Stress-test? Nice, I'll see how much time "banana-banana-banana-banana-banana-banana-banana-banana-banana" will stay on a wiki
              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

So whens this banana page going up? I think its stable. Nothing Ive put up yet has fallen off.

Comment

I was just being silly, but now I tested. I admit I didn't think it would be that easy to edit the the FrontPage

I don't see how it could be easier. Now I'm figuring out where to click to create a new page and put ATitleAboutLikeThis. The AddingPage explanation does not say where do I should put my "meaningful title".

Oh, got it now... (maybe some others will take a few minutes to get it, or I just did not read well). I still don't know how the system decides to put a "?" or not after a given word.

Erm... just got a wiki fatal error while connecting an article to the "?" following my bananas (that's why we stress test I guess):

Warning: fopen(pages/pages/Find-the-black-banana stress test%3A banana-banan=anana-banana): failed to open stream: File name too long in /homepages/13/d85700753/htdocs/www/wiki/lib/db_filesystem.php on line 104

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WikiFatalError
                  Error while writing page 'Find-the-black-banana stress test: banana-banana-banana-banana-ba'
                  Last edited by MarkG; December 5, 2004, 02:13.

Comment

You get a question mark to click on when you put brackets around a word or when you string together more than one word.

Comment

Hmm, I think it might be a wise idea to lock the front page, no?

Comment

hehehe I found a crack to pass into

Comment

ok, except for the issue of page vandalism (but I think youre all nice folks that dont do that kind of thing), I think this is live. No more bugs have been found, and no pages have fallen out of the site. Guys, go mad on this wiki.

Comment

Interesting project there. Feel free to convert the ideas I listed in the Civ IV word document... I don't have time to do that- but if you wish to do so, then please, be my guest!
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                              Interesting project there. Feel free to convert the ideas I listed in the Civ IV word document... I don't have time to do that- but if you wish to do so, then please, be my guest!

I think we will be better doing that when the final version of the document will come. We will then be able to get the names of all agreeing contributor in one place, and add each of their idea from the List in its final form.

Comment

We have a third participant over there! Cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X