Railway Usage Surcharge idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railway Usage Surcharge idea!

Ok..I was pondering this, tell me if you think it is possible or practical.

I hate tresspassers and was wondering if in order for a civilization to use your Railroad or even roadway sytem, it had to pay a toll...
    I mean the computer can track movement rates varying upon terrain or unit statistics..how hard could it be when it hit your "RailRoad" to have to give up a small pinch of gold dust!!

Maybe too far fetched but I would love to see it implemented!!

Peace

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

What about just enforcing borders? If you get kicked out of someone's land, then crossing back into it is a diplomatic hit and a possible cause for war.

Then, just make the AI stay out. Tell them that the player land is impassable unless they want trouble.

Comment

I don't like this because there are only two situations I can see it possibly applying (placing it in a Civ3 context because cIV should be close enough for comparison and without a better idea of the cIV environment, it would just be a guess):

1. Civ with whom you have an ROP. You've agreed to free passage with them, and to now charge for it would seem to be outside the spirit of the agreement.

2. Civ with whom you don't have an ROP. Inside your borders, they get no advantage from your roads and railroads. In other words, they aren't using them, and shouldn't be charged.

I guess a third possibility is sort of an ROP-lite, where you agree to let x number of units pass through, making full use of road/RR, in exchange for y gold, maybe getting to dictate the path, as well. That could have some promise.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
        I don't like this because there are only two situations I can see it possibly applying (placing it in a Civ3 context because cIV should be close enough for comparison and without a better idea of the cIV environment, it would just be a guess):

1. Civ with whom you have an ROP. You've agreed to free passage with them, and to now charge for it would seem to be outside the spirit of the agreement.

2. Civ with whom you don't have an ROP. Inside your borders, they get no advantage from your roads and railroads. In other words, they aren't using them, and shouldn't be charged.

I guess a third possibility is sort of an ROP-lite, where you agree to let x number of units pass through, making full use of road/RR, in exchange for y gold, maybe getting to dictate the path, as well. That could have some promise.
        #3 sounds reasonable...maybe depending on diplomatic status, how eager they ai is to cooperating, would dictate #2

Gramps

Comment

IIRC both the Germans and the Americans used the existing railroad tracks in the European theatre. Neither of them really had established borders, so both of them were subject to sabotage actions. So idea #2 is pretty useless and no fun anyway.
          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot
            IIRC both the Germans and the Americans used the existing railroad tracks in the European theatre. Neither of them really had established borders, so both of them were subject to sabotage actions. So idea #2 is pretty useless and no fun anyway.
            Since when does it have to be fun to be in a CIV Game?

Think of the poor souls work hard to grow a city then cost lives whena settler is born..shame i tell ya shame...

Comment

Working...
            X