Tech through Conquest: Bring it back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, too exploitable and not a good game design anyway.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

No, too exploitable and not a good game design anyway.
      Agreed.

If anywhere, this belongs as an option on the game setup screen.
      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Also, if it's established either way (the invader or defender gaining tech), it should just be bonus beakers, not an entire tech.

Comment

How about if a civ is at war gets military techs X% cheaper but non-military techs X% more expensive. If the civ is at peace with everyone, then the reverse occurs, military techs are more expensive, and non-military techs are cheaper.
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Hmm, my post on this thread dissappeared

basically:

Only techs that the conquering player could currently choose to research may be captured. In addition, there is no tech gain unless the city in question is above a certain size (at least 10). Finally, cultural/government techs cannot be captured by conquest. If you're at war, you aren't interersted in their culture so much as making them bleed after all.

Cultural/government techs should have a separate "bleed" rule to allow neighbouring/trading civs to acquire the tech through osmosis.
            The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
            And quite unaccustomed to fear,
            But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
            Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

And that bleed rule should only occur during peacetime.

Comment

Yeah, no acquiring philosophy from a civ you are at war with. No conquest, no cultural osmosis.

Unless of course you use espionage, but thats another thread entirely.

Comment

How would you steal philosophy?

Comment

Kidnap Socrates and 7 other famous guys from history witha time machine perhaps?

Comment

That's some pretty far future tech

Comment

Mind you, there is the famous story (so famous I cant remember any names) of teh Roman general who had his soldiers executed because they accidentally killed the world famous philosopher (ie natural scientist; philosopher in ancient times != philosophy as we understand it today) in the city they were invading.

Given that these ancient "scientists" weren't devoted to their country so much as to their knowledge and research, kidnapping them would be a valid way of doing espionage to steal a tech.

Comment

Wasn't it Archimedes? He was the one who designed the big mirror or lens that they used to burn the attacking Roman fleet, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                            I'm not a fan of bringing it back, except maybe in the form of a reduced cost to research techs owned by the invaded civs.
                            I'd probably agree with this statement the most. Gaining research points by treaty (like MOO) would be good too, BTW.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by lajzar
                              Given that these ancient "scientists" weren't devoted to their country so much as to their knowledge and research, kidnapping them would be a valid way of doing espionage to steal a tech.
                              May not even have to kidnap them, you could gain them by conquest, or other means. One example that came to mind was the German scientist Werner von Braun. His knowledge of rocketry was crucial to the U.S. space program.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by lajzar
                                Err, I am not really sure that is true. Though, certainly there are some and were some like this. There are also people very devoted to their country. Heck, Archimedes helped a great deal in the defense against the Roman forces.

Naturally, you could probably force many captured scientists to work for you.

-Drachasor
                                "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Working...
                                X