No announcement yet.

Eternal China Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say, what if, after leading a nation for x years, your civ slowly ascends to civilization, a culture. Like the current "western civilization", not a single nation, but a collective of similarly valued nations.

An example: At the end of WWII, the allies didn't annex the whole of germany, as in civ would happen, but merely occupied it. As time went by, the allied sectors merged and formed a nation, on western values and principles. In civ terms, a small nation, with trade and research pacts, and mutual protection pact with right of passages with you is formed. A minor civ, as succested in other thread. You can influence it's production of units, and in time of attack, will assume control of them, in addition to your own army. It's research contribution and tax revenue (to you), as does it's military, grows in paraller to yours.
    Then there's the soviet sector, in which similar events occur. In time, when the desire to reunify becomes too great (a simple counter, affected by the size of the dissolved nation and such, started at the end of the war), these two unite, under the civ, which has more "points", from infrastructure, literacy, whatever. The losing civ might intervene, stopping the proces with military, with severe penalties to the flow of recources and trade from the nation. Of course, if either side has, effectively enough, converted the populace of the conquered nation, they might not want to return to the old nation.

Only territories/cities you could annex would be those, which were on your border at the start. From every other city you have captured, amount of gold is diverted to you, for some time, after the hostilities have ended. This process could be repeated only after some time, if you declare war in few years, you can't annex any new territories. (Perhaps depending on government...) If they declare war, you can take border cities. Or choose not to, with advantages and disadvantages, like international reputation, earlier "conquered" nations jumping out of you alliance and such.

Accept peace with those terms, or continue the war to the capital, after which, if more cities are available, and the leadership manages to escape, the nation continues to function. If not, the regime falls, and the occupation described above commences.

The victory by conquest is achieved, when all of the world is under your cultural empire, in owned territories, or in allies, friends, or occupied from the last war.

Some details need to be ironed out...

Eh, am I making ANY sense?
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

How about each time you have a revolution, X % of your cities revolt and form a new civ? The percentage would vary depending on how radical the change is, and certain changes (rep-dem) should have no revolt.

The 4-8 turns of non-production should be changed to very low production.
      The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
      And quite unaccustomed to fear,
      But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
      Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

Originally posted by lajzar
        How about each time you have a revolution, X % of your cities revolt and form a new civ?
        Wouldn't that just discourage government switching even more that at present?

Comment

I like the Hun's ideas. Maybe the first time you play the game, you can only play one of a small number of ancient, possibly only major, civs. They would have predefined breakoff civs. In this first game, you would control the original civ for the whole game. The breakoffs could have subbreakoffs. The next time you start a new game, the original civs are still available, as well as either just the first generation of breakoffs, or any civ that appeared in that first game. Eventually dozens of civs would be unlocked, all of them. You'd be encouraged to try a variety of civs to unlock breakoffs. Maybe this would be the only way to play new civs in their fully featured form, but you could play them without unique characteristics any time, including scenarios, or there could be scenarios that use the same system.

Comment

hmmm too restricting in my opinion,Don't know if people want a 'campagn mode'.However it would be nice if you choose what faction to lead when a schism occurs.
            'hmmm do I stay with our glorious monarchy or Join the land of the free for exciting REXing opportunities?'

Comment

I think maybe the game should simply start with more civs using regional names. then as the game progresses and civs get conquored or assimilated the name of the civ should change.

For instance didn't the chinese start off as a number of city-states that were later joind together to form china ?

For instance Canada started off as a number of colonies (independany countries essentially) that later confederated.

At the start of the game could it be set up so that settlers *always* found a new civ (city-state). Then after having been right next to your civ for so many turns, they just decide to join your civ due to a culture flip. Maybe make it really easy to flip cultures at the start of the game.

Comment

Losing one's civ might be the most unfun thing one could do to the player especially for perfectionist builders....

Without breaking old civ, new ones won't have space....

And China is eternal.....so ECS is fine in comparsion to the unfun alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  The Mongols came real close.
                  Ummm....No.

Comment

I agree. The Mongols lasted only as long as they had strong leadership (which wasn't very long). The same goes for the Huns, Alexander the Great's empire, etc. The next closest country that could be considered Eternal (other than China itself) would probably be Egypt.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Hun's idea

You mean satellite nation/colony?
                      :-p

Comment

Would anyone like this idea:
                        At the beginning of the game, there are only minor civilizations. They don't even have a name of the civilizations we know - either they've got names of what are now the barbarians, or they get computer-generated names.
                        All the pre-civs receive points for population, territory, money, units and techs. Every few turns, the game checks woh's got the most points. If you are among them, you'll get a message: "Congratulations [insert your name here], your people have arisen to CIVILIZATION level! You are now known as the (Americans / Germans / Greeks / Chinese / Zulu / Aztecs)!" Of course, this means that you could also lose your civ status if you lose too many cities...

Comment

Now that would be interesting Max. It would really go well with the "population on every tile" idea. Of course there would have to be many "minor" civs.

Comment

That sounds similar to something they are already planning for Civ 4. I forget the exact details at the moment.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                            X