Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new population growth model needed for Civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new population growth model needed for Civ4?

One of the main advantages of Infinite City Sprawl in the civilization games is that 10 cities of size 1 grow much faster than 1 city of size 10. The ICS thread has a great discussion on how this affects gameplay.

My point is, maybe we need a new growth model. Because as it is now, growth is not only linear, it also stays relatively constant throughout the course of the game, and larger cities grow much more slowly than smaller ones. And this is NOT realistic. History has shown that:

A: growth is exponential.
    B: growth is very dependant on technology. Growth before the advent of medicine was at a turtles pace compared to growth in the modern era, which is skyrocketing.
    C: Growth rates in cities depend less on inherent population, and more on living conditions. It doesn't matter if a city has 5 million people. If everyone is happy, well-fed, and healthy, growth is going to be huge.

I think Civ4 should make growth more dependant on technology, it should be exponential in nature, and it should depend more on the happiness of citizens. Let me illustrate what I mean by exponential:

The growth of many modern cities can be estimated by the equation Y=X(e)^[0.01(t)], where t=# of years, X=beginning pop, Y=resulting population, and e is a special irrational # whose value is roughly 2.718. Just try it, it really works! Let's take a city of 150,000. In 10 years, what will it's population be?

Y=150,000(2.718)^[0.02(10)]
    Y= approx. 166,000

In about 10 years, its population is 166,000.

Let's try world population. Let's estimate the current population at...6.2 billion. In 20 years, if nothing drastic happens...

Y=6.2bil(2.718)^[0.02(20)]
    Y=7.6 billion

Yikes, 7.6 billion!

Now, what if we incorporated a similar formula into the game? It would be very realistic, but it also could be too confusing for newcomers and/or non-math students.

And then concerning technology:

Here's some data on world population at given times:

2000 B.C. - 108,000,000

1000 B.C. - 120,000,000 (a +11% jump in 1000 years)

A.D. 1 - 138,000,000 (+15%)

A.D. 1000 - 275,000,000 (+199%) - Big jump, eh?

A.D. 2000 - 6,261,000,000 (+2276%) - HUGE jump!

Why is this happening? Technology. Improved medicine, agriculture, etc. is causing our population to soar. I think the game should emulate this. Like when you discover medical or agricultural technology, your growth should accelerate.

Now concerning growth in big cities:

Big city growth doesn't inherently slow down due to just a bigger population. Instead, it is limited by coinciding factors: Not enough food to feed the masses, unemployment, general unhappiness, emigration to other cities (hmmm, perhaps Civ4 should have immigration between cities...), etc. But if a big city is well managed, and these problems are taken care up, then the city should still experience rapid growth. This would give players incentives to concentrate on their big cities and build them up instead of ICS-ing like crazy.

Well, I hope that made sense, and I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks.
    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

i say keep the same growth model as we have now, but as technology increases, the amount of food needed to get to the next population point above say 6 decreases, so that it will grow faster. maybe have an improvement which does this (or multiple) or maybe not, too many buildings. dont know.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

maybe like they modelled it in MOO2

as technology increases your workers produce more food ...
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Oh no! It's MATH!
        We'll never sell THIS to the ignorant masses who buy our game!
        We'd better edit this back to a linear model - at least there's a chance of teaching our people what "y = mx + b" means.

Great idea, Zeiter - but not stupid enough for a mainstream game.

Comment

*Sigh*

Yeah, perhaps an exponential growth function would be getting a little too complicated. But I still think having your growth accelerate when you discover certain techs (or build certain improvements, like hospitals or something) should be included. This might make for some tough decisions when choosing a tech path:

"Hmmm, I really would like to have cavalry, but if I choose anatomy/physiology I get a hefty growth bonus."
          Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

It's not impossible, just list 3 numbers for the population growth of each city. Death Rate, Growth Rate, Net Growth. In the simplified presentation it would only show Net Growth. Certain advances lower Death Rate, and other advances lower Growth Rate. Lastly, there are some things you can do to increase Growth Rate. The rates could be in citizens per 1000.

The bigger problem is that the current food and population system is nothing like this. Each pop point is a much larger number of people than the last, but still only needs the same amount of food to feed. If you change the growth system, then you'll need to change the population system. I don't think that is going to change much, if at all.

-Drachasor
            "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor
              other advances lower Growth Rate.
              You mean, INCREASE growth rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova

You mean, INCREASE growth rate.
                Nope, look at the family size in modern countries. Does it average 12+ children a couple? Does it average 6+?

No? Well that's because the growth rate has decreased, it is just that the death rate decreased even more. Clearly though there should be some things you can do to increase growth rate. In a modern society (perhaps after the discovery of economics) a tax incentive for larger families would work (but would cost you gold/turn).

Though, perhaps the lowered growth rate should take 20 turns before it takes effect. In third world countries that suddenly get 2nd-1st world health system, they are having a massive surge in population. Old Growth Rates + Modern Death Rates = Lotta People.

Hmm, probably everything that gives -Death Rate should give a Corresponding -Growth Rate in 20 turns, but perhaps have this distinguishment between rates invisible. I suppose it could all be subsumed into a general growth rate. When you got a new tech that increased net growth, you'd just get an extra bonus for 20 turns.

-Drachasor
                "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

It's economics that cause Growth Rate to shrink in 1st world nations... It hits the middle and upper classes (middle most though). It's got nothing to do with technology, other then as the cost of living goes up, those that are above the poverty line's growth factor *slows*, because they cannot *afford* to have more children.

The 3rd world nations that get modern health systems are exploding because the poor (the largest majority of the nation) don't slow down the rate they have babies. And since infant and child mortality rates have dropped (due to the advanced health system), their population growth sky rockets. As the poor transistion into middle class, their growth rate drops to match that of other middle classes that have similar income/costs of living.
                  -Darkstar
                  (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

The middle class can certainly afford to have a lot of children, and some do. The thing of it is that they *don't* want to. They'd rather spend the extra money on luxuries and other items to make everyone happier and more content.

The reason more primitive cultures have more kids is that you are never sure who is going to survive and who isn't. Your children might get sick and die even in their late teens or 20s, without any heirs. In modern cultures survival is much more certain, so once you have a few kids the family line is pretty safe.

I think it has more to do with securing the family line than anything. It is easier and costs fewer children for the middle class, so they get to the same level of certainty and then spend the excess time and other resources on other things.

-Drachasor

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor
                      It's not impossible, just list 3 numbers for the population growth of each city. Death Rate, Growth Rate, Net Growth. In the simplified presentation it would only show Net Growth. Certain advances lower Death Rate, and other advances lower Growth Rate. Lastly, there are some things you can do to increase Growth Rate. The rates could be in citizens per 1000.
                      Hey, this is a really good idea. Simple enough for newcomers to understand, and yet very realistic. New technology and improvements would lower the death rate, and the economic conditions, pollution, and general happiness/unhappiness of your citizens would influence the birth rate. For the greatest population growth, just invest in some hospitals and such, make sure pollution is low, and make sure your citizens are really happy (which will require investing some gold, prompting you to make a strategic decision: do I want to focus on pop growth right now, or other things?

The bigger problem is that the current food and population system is nothing like this. Each pop point is a much larger number of people than the last, but still only needs the same amount of food to feed. If you change the growth system, then you'll need to change the population system. I don't think that is going to change much, if at all.

-Drachasor
                      Very true. The "nutrient tank" system really needs to go. Cities don't simply grow by hoarding resources. Certainly sufficient food is needed for population growth, but in reality, any surplus food should just contribute towards the happiness level of the citizens (thus indirectly influencing the population growth).

I think you've come up with a simple, yet realistic and effective system. Use the birth rate and death rate to calculate the growth rate (as it is in reality) and let the rates be influenced by various factors.

Comment

Sounds good, but the power of extra pop would not need to be offset - at present in Civ3 (as I am learning in the Civ3 Feudal DG) max food is best, as more pop earlier means more of EVERYthing that matters. Higher disease rates pre-Medicine perhaps, and other likewise negative effects to deal with when you promote growth.
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

/me waits for everyone to beeline to the growth advances, then spam growth
                          It'll be even more cheese than ICS, but oh well.

Comment

For simplicities sake I'd rather keep growth as it is, just tweak small city growth a bit. Maybe have centre tiles of all non-capital cities produce only one food until they reach size 6.

This also ties in with the Agricultural traits. As much as I love the Agricultural trait in Civ3, it is often too powerful.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The actual equation for population growth is not difficult and could very simply be programed.

The important factors are :death rate and fertility.

Human populations stayed stable for long becuase while the fertility was high, the death rate was also very high.

Greater food production actually would act to both highten fertility rate and lower death rate- but your population is still not growing insanely due to the fact the death rate remains immense.

Then comes improved sanitation and medicine- this hits the death rate and cuts it significantly while the fertility rate remain very high- meaning population explodes. Then finally as the population becomes wealthy, fertility drops and populations stabalize or drop.

If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X