Naval Trade Blockades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Trade Blockades

The ability to introduce naval blockades of harbours would be great for naval civ's. It could easily be implemented;

- RULE START -
    If a hostile ship is inside the city radius the city's harbor will be rendered useless for trade purposes.
    - RULE END -

In this way one could, with a large enough fleet, embargo an entire continent! Taking out the defending navy would be crucial, however, as every gap in the blockade would be enough to restart trade. Subhunting would be very important also.

Yeh that is a very good idea I think that should be implemented into the game.

Comment

The ability to blockade would be a good one.

Having just one hostile ship in the city radius might not be the best rule - you could just send a galley ship in at the end of a turn, thus disrupting trade for the player at the start of his turn, but then have it be obliterated by 10 battleships patrolling the port the same turn.

Perhaps amend the rule so that it says the hostile ship has to have been there at least one turn.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

A good compromise could be that having a ship fortified inside the city's radius would block sea trade with it. Unfortified ships would be "just passing through" and not actively blockading the port.
        Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Perhaps a combination of both proposals (by Ijuin and Dauphin)?
          As far as i remember you can fortify and still move in the next round, so Dauphins proposal might still be necessary even though fortification is also required..

Comment

excellent idea
            A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

How about just giving ships a "blockade" and "counter-blockade" order. The former takes one turn to activate, and keeps the ship still (like it was a fortified ground unit) thereafter. The latter command can break a blockade without engaging the enemy (you just need to run the trade ships out) and ends the blockade breakers turn.

Hence there would be two ways to break a blockade. You could destroy the blockading ship, or you could simply break the blockade and possibly avoid combat (depending on what the enemy did next turn). As in real life, if you wanted to have a decent blockade, you'd have to control the oceans.

-Drachasor
              "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Fortified ship in city's radius
                I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

It is already possible to start a naval blockade, thought extremely difficult since you need to block each sea square through which trade can pass-so unless you can block trade at some key water areas.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                  X