Railroads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railroads?

I think the railroad zero movement cost is ridiculous. Id like to see it gone. There is no balance road-railroad. Additionally, railroads make airlifts obsolete on pangea maps...

Instant movement is a bit OTT. Factoring down to, say, 1/6 movement cost would be a good move I think.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I agree that it should just be a uber road. I'd go as far as 1/9th movement (easily modable), continuing the tradition of roads tripling movement.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I suggest a compromise.

1.75?

Comment

On a serous note, I don't believe they will change it. Railroads is a concept separate from roads. Perhaps they'll add some minor tweaks, like increasing the cost of passing through cities or some such, but I believe infinite movement stays.

Comment

I love infinite railroad movement. Same with Leo's Workshop.

Comment

They could have it start at 1/9 and move up to higher numbers with later technology. Perhaps as high as 1/18?

The problem with infinite rail movement is that it cuts down on strategy, since you can respond with your entire land army in one round. You should need to think a bit more about how you are going to place your troops, imho.

-Drachasor
              "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Would it be possible if there was an option to allow infinite movement railroads as a custom rule right before the game starts? I think that way, those who like or dislike infinite movement can choose whichever one they want.
                Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
                +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
                http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

Options are always good.

And it's a good way to deal with "traditional" rules that some people are attached to, despite the rules being completely stupid.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I would think that adding optional rules at the game's start should be limited to more important concepts. I mean really, if you had to have an option to follow or not to follow every single rule that you could change, the list would get riduclously long. It should be limited to important game deciding options such as Victory conditions, etc.. Wether or not railroads have infinite movement is a bit obscure, don't ya think?
                    It's what you learn after you think you know everything, that counts.

Comment

If you have it moddable in a text file somewhere, I think that would satisfy everyone.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                        If you have it moddable in a text file somewhere, I think that would satisfy everyone.

hopefully this is one of the things they are going to keep in xml or somehting

Comment

I think unlimited movement should remain, with some modifcations.
                          Call it strategic movement. I would like to see two variants, one for roads and one for railroads. Essentially any cities connected by roads or railroads may move units between them, strategicially. If by roads, the unit may not attack or defend in the city, and will be destroyed if the city is captured. If by railroad the unit may defend at 1/2 strength. These penalties represent the disorganized nature units would face in having men and materiel moved vast distances in a hurry, but is also realistic, considering the time span of the turns we're dealing with. Normal movement by railroads should be double roads.

Additionally, I'd like to see some way for units to capture enemy railroads and roads, to be able to use them for benefits of moving units, which is a fairly normal occurrence in modern warfare. A new action, called secure road/railroad, which would allow a unit to take over control of the enemy road/rail tile movement bonus. Securing lasts until the following conditions are met: peace is declared or enemy retakes and rescures the square. Units need at least 1 MP to secure the road/rail. This would increase the value of the hill and mountain railed by the enemy.

Comment

I favor the infinite railroad as well. Keep in mind how many years are in each turn. You can go far on a rail in 1/2/5 years. Airlift doesn't compare to rail. Those heavy lifters cost alot. Rail can haul more cargo cheaper.

As for roads, I think the movement as it is (1/3) is a little slow. On large and huge maps I've changed roads to 1/6 or even 1/9.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I love unlimited movement.
                              In the early game defense is about strategy.

In the late game it's about having enough units and a balanced economy, and *most important* diplomacy.
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X