This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
    Why build a giant robot when you can launch its araments on an ICBM or field an army for a fraction of the cost?

Just get some scriptkiddie to disable a few of its legs and the thing will collapse under its own weight.
    Because when another Giant Death Robot catches your nuke and tosses it back at you, you'll need your own Giant Death Robot to catch it again. Against armies Giant Death Robots can step on the enemy and use their powerful cannons and weaponry to destroy vast amounts of the enemy in one pass --unless the enemy are Giant Death Robots! The puny weaponry of the average soldier cannot hurt the Giant Death Robot, and the Giant Death Robot is to fast and destructive for artillery to work. As for tanks, they are like the puny soldier when confronted with the might of the Giant Death Robot!

And scriptkiddies are useless against Giant Death Robots and their Giant Death programming language. The Giant Death Robot would just find the kiddie and either step on him (ouch!) or you could have a spy hunt him down and kill him. This is assuming the FIREWALL of the Giant Death Robot doesn't burn the script kiddie into a BIG pile of nothingness.

Why are you being so unrealistic about the utility and power of the Giant Death Robot?

-Drachasor
    "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Why are you being so unrealistic in the first place?

Comment

There's a reason governments don't spend so much resources on a single big ass unit.

If you were dumb enough to field such a robot, I'd simply hit your supply centres and let your robot deteriourate from lack of supply.

Anything that big can't possibly be both well-armed and mobile.
        Unit diversity will reign supreme.
        Lighter units can move faster, and can carry more payload per weight than object requiring massive structure.

I could just have a 'Catcher Droid' that can fly up to the Nuke and return it,
        a 'Nuke Launcher' that fires new nukes,
        an 'Anti-Spy' that can stop your spy from getting to my hackers,
        and against the threat of your robot stepping on anything, I'd just surround your robot - it can't step on everything at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova There's a reason governments don't spend so much resources on a single big ass unit.
          Yes, they lack vision! They are scared of the awesomeness of Gaint Death Robots!

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova If you were dumb enough to field such a robot, I'd simply hit your supply centres and let your robot deteriourate from lack of supply.
          A Giant Death Robot could simply steal oil from the enemy and convert that into an energy source; that with self-repair systems would handle deterioration.

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova Anything that big can't possibly be both well-armed and mobile.
          Unit diversity will reign supreme.
          Lighter units can move faster, and can carry more payload per weight than object requiring massive structure.
          Just like the governments you speak of, you are fearful of the grandeur of the Giant Death Robot! While Smaller Giant Death Robots can be faster than larger ones, they are easily a match for any non-Giant Death Robot anyone can produce!

I could just have a 'Catcher Droid' that can fly up to the Nuke and return it,
          The catcher droid of which you speak is just a diminishing term for a Giant Death Robot! Anything that was a Giant Death Robot would like the mobility, power, and capability of catching a nuke and throwing it back!

a 'Nuke Launcher' that fires new nukes,
          Which lacks the irony of returning the opponents own nuke, and costs you more resources.

an 'Anti-Spy' that can stop your spy from getting to my hackers,
          More spies I would use then. Your hacker would still have the problem of the Giant Death Robot's Firewall, which would burn your hacker to cinder! Plus, the Giant Death Robot undoubtable has friendly hackers on his side.

and against the threat of your robot stepping on anything, I'd just surround your robot - it can't step on everything at once.
          Step on, fire at with a multitude a weapons, and many other things are at a Giant Death Robot's disposal!

-Drachasor

PS.

Originally posted by Nuclear Master
          Why are you being so unrealistic in the first place?
          Meanwhile within Nuclear Master....

Science Cell: Captain, we've detected a failure inside the brain, the damage is significant!

Captain Cell: Dangit, what part of the brain is it located in?

Science Cell: The humor center of the brain, sir.

Captain Cell: Scotty, is there anything you can do?

Engineer Cell: Aye, Captain, I kin jury-rig a humor system using the funny bone and nerves from the underside of his foot, but it'll take 20 hours.

Captain Cell: Make it 5!

Engineer Cell: I kinnae break the laws of physics!
          "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Once it becomes economically feasable to build such a device you may have a point.
            But until then I shall say good day to you, sir.

Comment

This is spammy. Reported to Ming.

Comment

Once it becomes economically feasable to build such a device you may have a point.
                But until then I shall say good day to you, sir.
                Umm, everyone understands that this thread is merely a joke, right?

I don't think anyone is being that serious here.....but apparently there is a sense of humor issue.

*sigh*

-Drachasor

Comment

Well, the thing is, the joke really isn't funny at all.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master
                    This is spammy. Reported to Ming.
                    Yes, I'm sorry about that.
                    Maybe we can discuss Tanks and Stealth bombers instead of "Giant Death Robots" in the next thread.

As for Humor, I am engineered to overpower and terminate my adversaries.
                    Humor is only a tool to use weak human emotions for victory.
                    ...Who needs to be a Giant death robot?

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor
                      Because when another Giant Death Robot catches your nuke and tosses it back at you, you'll need your own Giant Death Robot to catch it again.
                      Except that you don't catch a MIRV warhead with a "giant death robot."

They are having lots of problems trying to hit one, let alone catching it.

Against armies Giant Death Robots can step on the enemy and use their powerful cannons and weaponry to destroy vast amounts of the enemy in one pass --unless the enemy are Giant Death Robots!
                      Not necessarily. Suppose for each "giant death robots" you can field I can field 100 tanks with main guns capable of destroying your robots. Who would win the war?

The puny weaponry of the average soldier cannot hurt the Giant Death Robot, and the Giant Death Robot is to fast and destructive for artillery to work. As for tanks, they are like the puny soldier when confronted with the might of the Giant Death Robot!
                      That's your game. I am not playing it.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Every game should have Giant Death Robots, even stuff like The Sims. Or perhaps I should say especially stuff like The Sims.

I for one will feel a profound sense of betrayal if Giant Death Robots don't feature heavily in Civ4, with each civ preferably starting the game with one instead of a worker. I mean, what's the point in wasting you time trying to create on open-caste mine on a cow? It's just stupid to spend hundreds of years pounding on the poor things with pickaxes hoping to increase your civ's production? Where's the realism in that? Just give everyone a Giant Death Robot and let them should plasma beams at each other from long range, you wouldn't necessarily even have to waste time moving a square or foundin your capital.

I hope Soren reads this thread and starts taking some serious notes. The next time he posts us the slides from one of his industry presentations I hope it features the words "Giant Death Robot", "stomping metal damage" and "Plasma-Neutron MegaDeath" on every slide. He would be a fool not to, really.
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                          ... stuff like The Sims. ... stuff like The Sims.
                          /me bashes you over the head with a windows manual
                          No Sims! Sims Bad! Civ good.

Just give everyone a Giant Death Robot and let them should plasma beams at each other from long range, you wouldn't necessarily even have to waste time moving a square or foundin your capital.
                          One Must Fall: Battlegrounds is already copyrighted.
                          I don't think Firaxis can implement your idea.

Comment

FP,

You have convinced me. Lets go ahead with Giant Death Robots. The only problem is you can't call it Civ anymore.
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Make it a wonder of Robotics that you can build a Giant Robot.
                              Gives --MORALE to the enemy, since even if the robot's not very useful, it sure as hell is BIG.

Comment

Make it that you can only build it if you play on April 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X