Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV = breakthru 64 Bit Game??

HI Everyone

I think civ IV could be writen, either in part or whole for the AMD64 CPU (& maybe the new Intel 64 chip). The things that could be programmed could possibly make the game even greater IMHO.

Please let everyone know what you think
    Yes; fully AMD 64 compatible!!
    21.21%
    Somewhat; 2 versions - 32 & 64
    15.15%
    No; 32 only - maybe Civ V or VI for 64bit
    45.45%
    Yes; so long as it comes with free Bananas
    18.18%

What would writing it for the AMD64 provide?
    Justify its cost (less or no resources for developing 32bit version).
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

the 64bit chip provides greater calculation power, hence if done right, the AI could be alot better than what we exerience now

Comment

Aren't AI's intelligence level more dependent on good programming than calculation ability?

And I'll be honest here. I don't understand what is meant (in practical terms) by 32bit, 64bit etc..
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

MartynC is correct in a way, but there are two issues:

1. AI is still a work-in-progress for all AI programmers, even at 32 bit. So 64bit is not necessary for AI programming at this point; but in the near future, certainly.

2. Most people won't have the 64bit chip, and that's a big most.

On a side note, I have just come up with a great way to name this game: cIV

simple and cool at the same time!

be free

Comment

cIV really is good name

And as Dauphin said, I think calculating power is not the problem, algorithms are.

Comment

maybe i'm missing the irony... but CIV is actually already the name used by firaxis and the beta community

so congrats on the good guess or the good ears
              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

but on topic: maybe they could compile a version for 64bit chipsets... but i highly doubt so.

1, there's the compatibility issue. a windows version must be a windows version. these users aren't like linux users who compile every package themselves

2, most people have intel anyway. "intel inside" is actually considered the most valuable trademark at the moment... above microsoft windows, coca cola, nescafé etc.

3, currently people are going more direction powersaving than pure speed when buying notebooks (which is slowly taking away the office market from desktops). so if you buy a 1.4 GHz pentium M total, that will be approx. the equivalent to a 2GHz P4 at full calculation power... so game developers (except for FPS) have to go more towards "lean"
                - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

let me say it this way then cIV
                  be free

Comment

I think Sn00py gets copyright on that one
                    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
                      I think Sn00py gets copyright on that one
                      Do I have to pay royalties?
                      Last edited by MattH; June 28, 2004, 19:46.
                      cIV list: cheats
                      Now watch this drive!

Comment

i thought the jump to 64 bit right now wasn't too big a deal. maybe in a few years but i thought the biggest thing 64 bit offered right away was the ability to use more than 4gb(is that the right number?) of ram. i don't see how civ 4 could take advantage of that.
                        Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                          I've seen it that way before, it's not new. At least 5 or 6 years ago I remember someone saying it'd be cool about the 4th installement came out. It's in the Book of NIM so....
                          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by pg
                            i thought the jump to 64 bit right now wasn't too big a deal. maybe in a few years but i thought the biggest thing 64 bit offered right away was the ability to use more than 4gb(is that the right number?) of ram. i don't see how civ 4 could take advantage of that.
                            Hey, we've got some nice donors where I work...
                            cIV list: cheats
                            Now watch this drive!

Comment

Pffft. Can't think of how to use massive amounts of RAM?!?

MASSIVE WORLD MAP!!!
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X