New Tech ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by punkbass2000

... as long as they don't go too far with it.
    I'm thinking some even less drastic that the Middle Ages scenario (which had a different branch for each culture group). Just a tech here and there that only some civs would have access to, complete with unique abilities and such.
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Most of the differences you mentioned in your earlier post are direct consecuences of geographical position in the world...

Thus it could be interesting not that each civ had access to some of this 'special techs', but that the player had to choose between several branches in response to both what he sees in the terrain, and what he wants for his civ.

For example, if the land around your start location is very fertile and has hughe potential when worked fully, then perhaps you might want to have few but large cities, and would thus pick a branch in the tree that provides for expensive buildings that double production in one city rather than cheap buildings that add +5 production (which a civ with little natural resources could chose) or expensive buildings that boost production by 5% nationwide.

And i've just came up with that stuff... so far, we have only seen it in wonders, but perhaps there could be buildings that worked similarly (ie, to have a 'hoover dam' type of improvement that would cost much more maintenance than a single plant, but would be more cost-effective for the larger nations.

All in all, everything would go down to balance. It should be almost equally convenient in having large, far flung empires than small, centralised ones. But you should choose which way you want to style your nation and then go down a path, completely disregarding another one, with whichever advantages and disadvantages that brings.

If anybody has played Age of Mithology, it would be like choosing between the secondary gods every time you advance an age.
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by lajzar
        Ask for Grid Computing, is that anything like Network Computing?
        More like computer clusters.

However, Grid Computing must follow the Internet.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by lajzar
          Hoover Dam - China is currently doing a project equally as impressive. And if flooding is implemented, this wonder should increase the chance of that happening.
          That's the Three Gorges Dam.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by orrery
            lazjar, I'm not amused with your continuing attempts to knock US achievements.
            Keep that to yourself, thank you.

Hollywood has had far more greater impact on the world than Bollywood.
            That is what you think. I don't see a lot of worldwide impact Hollywood has.

The world could always do with a little more of what makes the US the shining beacon of freedom in the world.
            My side

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
              Would that be the same as Internet?

if so then its covered
              Yes and no. The WWW builds on top of the Internet, but it goes further by creating simple mechanisms for the common man to publish.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
                For example, if the land around your start location is very fertile and has hughe potential when worked fully, then perhaps you might want to have few but large cities, and would thus pick a branch in the tree that provides for expensive buildings that double production in one city rather than cheap buildings that add +5 production (which a civ with little natural resources could chose) or expensive buildings that boost production by 5% nationwide.
                The non-tradable resource group could be expanded and used to define geographic influence on your development. i.e Have certain resources permit certain types of building being built. An expansion of the Statue of Zeus concept where you need Ivory to build it.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Damn! Poly ate my post. And I'd copied it... but then I forgot and copied something else to paste it. Oh well.

Short version: let's try and actually discuss tech ideas here, as opposed to chest-thumping nationalism and the various responses to it.

I'd like to see the ancient age lengthened (since it's my favorite). Therefore, to stuff like carpentry (I'd call it craftsmanship and have it apply to woodworking and stoneworking).

Other ideas:

- boatbuilding. Inserted somewhere between alphabet and mapmaking. Allows curragh.

- drama. Dead-end offshoot of literature. Allows theatres (in size 6+ cities ), which help happiness and culture.

- tactics. Requires warrior code, provides hefty combat bonus vs. barbs, minor combat bonus vs. civs lacking tactics.

- maneuver. *if stacked combat is in* - dead end offshoot of tactics. Allows larger stacks.

- fortification. Dead-end, requires masonry, math and tactics. Allows city walls, fortress building, and provides a bonus to unit fortification.

Stuff like that, just to fill it out a bit.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    Damn! Poly ate my post. And I'd copied it... but then I forgot and copied something else to paste it. Oh well.

Short version: let's try and actually discuss tech ideas here, as opposed to chest-thumping nationalism and the various responses to it.
                    I'd like that but some statements need to be countered, even if it requires a OT post to do so.

I'd like to see the ancient age lengthened (since it's my favorite). Therefore, to stuff like carpentry (I'd call it craftsmanship and have it apply to woodworking and stoneworking).
                    Craftmanship deserves a

Other ideas:

- boatbuilding. Inserted somewhere between alphabet and mapmaking. Allows curragh.

- drama. Dead-end offshoot of literature. Allows theatres (in size 6+ cities ), which help happiness and culture.

- tactics. Requires warrior code, provides hefty combat bonus vs. barbs, minor combat bonus vs. civs lacking tactics.

- maneuver. *if stacked combat is in* - dead end offshoot of tactics. Allows larger stacks.
                    Again some great ideas, these would add some more depth and really flesh out the ancient age. I would like to see some more late industrial and early modern city improvements though, especially in the area of culture. Although they would be largely cosmetic (most players do not play much into the modern era) it would add some flavor to the age and give a player something to build besides wealth or a unit.

- fortification. Dead-end, requires masonry, math and tactics. Allows city walls, fortress building, and provides a bonus to unit fortification.
                    -Arrian
                    I am not saying this is a bad idea per se, but I am not picturing where this would fit. Would this replace construction or would this be an offshoot of construction? Also what need would their be to research construction if all of the benefits are moved to fortification?
                    * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                    * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                    * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                    * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Carpentry requires metal tools, though, so it needs metalworking or something like that.

What about music and dance? Even the most primitive tribes have them.

Comment

@Arrian
                        About tactics: Isn't that a tech that has to be reinvented always after new weapons were developed? Maybe there should be more than just one "tactics" tech.

Comment

Would we really want that much detail?

To cover every possible tech to lead to a tactic?

What about play ability?

If we want more detail, me thinks this effects turn lengths?

Wondering mindlessly
                          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Well, I was thinking of an "advanced tactics" tech in the late medieval/early industrial, but tactics was just one idea. I have no problem with it being left out.

Carpentry requires metal tools, though, so it needs metalworking or something like that.
                            Point taken. So make "craftsmanship" come off of bronze working.

What about music and dance? Even the most primitive tribes have them.
                            Fine by me, I don't really care what it's called. I just think there should be a happiness/culture structure that doesn't involve religion. But that's me.

I am not saying this is a bad idea per se, but I am not picturing where this would fit. Would this replace construction or would this be an offshoot of construction? Also what need would their be to research construction if all of the benefits are moved to fortification?
                            Doh! I forgot to say "offshoot of construction." Construction in CivIII also enables Colosseums and Aqueducts. Removing forts doesn't really reduce its value much. One possible variation would be to leave city walls with masonry (because otherwise the only thing masonry allows is the Pyramids), and just have fortification provide a bonus to their effectiveness (say they start out as a 25% bonus, but if you have fortification, it rises to 50%).

New thought of the day: what about techs that increase the value/usefulness of luxuries?

What if people like grapes already, but then you "research" fermenting? Now you've got wine, which is even better. People might like glittery stones, but if you research "gemwork" or something with a better name than I can think of, perhaps they will like 'em even more?

Stuff like that. The incredible power of the marketplace in civIII can be toned down a bit, and some optional techs can fill the void.

Like? No like? I don't even know if I do yet...

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

working.

New thought of the day: what about techs that increase the value/usefulness of luxuries?

What if people like grapes already, but then you "research" fermenting? Now you've got wine, which is even better. People might like glittery stones, but if you research "gemwork" or something with a better name than I can think of, perhaps they will like 'em even more?

Stuff like that. The incredible power of the marketplace in civIII can be toned down a bit, and some optional techs can fill the void.

Like? No like? I don't even know if I do yet...

-Arrian
                              Taking things to a new level...that smacks of thought

YES I like
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

About the Federal government:

the common thing between the countries with federal government is that they have great diversity among their population.
                                Switzerland has 3(at least) official languages that are spoken in different parts
                                India has MANY official religions
                                USA....Russia....Canada
                                they are all countries with diverse population.
                                Federal government is just a modification on Democracy that makes it more efficient for diverse population.

Comment

Working...
                                X