advisors and magistrates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advisors and magistrates.

this may have been covered elsewhere, but i couldn't find direct references to it. i like the idea of 'leaders' similar to mooii, but instead of appearing randomly and asking to be hired, they must be trained (perhaps in your palace). you'd start with these bottom-rung advisors for all the major categories, but you could train new ones, as well. the new advisors can provide bonuses to the field in which they are advising, and can be appointed as 'governors' if you so desire. so you send general johnson, a military advisor, to new york to run the city while you concetrate of fighting a war abroad. he provides a defensive bonus to the units defending new york, and, in addition, sets the city on a path in correlation with your orders ('defend this city at all costs!' he builds civil defense, flak, mobile infantry, etc.) i know everyone here loves the micromanagement aspect of the game, but one of the things that excites me about history and government are the skills of talented advisors. empires are rarely built by a single leader, but rather a network of talented magistrates, generals and bureaucrats. assembling a dedicated and talented staff should help you.
    please lay off. i'm new.

I also like the idea of having "improved subordinates" that would provide certain bonuses to different portions of your empire. The idea that your empire could foster more capable ministers and advisors as time goes on could easily accentuate different aspects of play. Dedicated warmonger? You'll probably produce better "generals" as time goes on. Lots of cultural improvements? You'll probably have brilliant artists pop up over time...
    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

*bump*
      I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

could we have the advisor videos from civ2 again? I just loved them....
        Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
        So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
        rocking on everest

Comment

good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
            I also like the idea of having "improved subordinates" that would provide certain bonuses to different portions of your empire. The idea that your empire could foster more capable ministers and advisors as time goes on could easily accentuate different aspects of play. Dedicated warmonger? You'll probably produce better "generals" as time goes on. Lots of cultural improvements? You'll probably have brilliant artists pop up over time...
            Good concept.

Not played MOO so not sure how it was implemented but it sounds interesting.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Pax Imperia II had leaders like that.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Davinator
                I too definately concur....BRING BACK THE ANIMATED ADVISORS!!!

After years of playing Civ2, I never got tired of them.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Who didn't love the Elvis?
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Build more Granaries!!!
                    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I also thought the lady advisor was hot. Anyone know who she was?

Comment

Check the Civ II General Forums- they're always talking about her- in fact, I forget who, but I think that My Wife Hates Civ actually emailed her once she's an actress...
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Bring her back! Elvis too!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Davinator
                            Thank you, thank you very much. Uh-huh! (done in my best Elvis, which admittedly isn't very good) I also liked the drunken military advisor when you were kicking but in a war.

Also bring back the foreign emissaries instead of leader heads for negotiations. Aren't many of these deals really handled by the in-country ambassador? Save the leader heads for peace treaties and other big deals.
                            OK, my real reason is I miss the Egyptian ambassador.
                            The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

*cough *
                              So what about advisors who could be trained and give specific bonuses to a city?
                              I like that idea. Implement it.

Comment

Working...
                              X