No announcement yet.

Growth - should it be related to food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, never played colonization I'm afraid !
    Could you please explain their population management system, and I'll see how I could adapt it to my model! Thank you !

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Just move the decimnal point. Have the stafing run on 1000 citicens.
      Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
      Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Well, so long as the problem was with my numbering system, and not my overall model, then thats COOL !
        My big problem, though, is that Civ4 should really better define what its population numbers refer to. For instance, how many people are in a population 1 city, and how many are in a population 2 or 3 city?
        In addition, these numbers should come reasonably close to reflecting the situation in real life. For instance, a size 1 city should be less than 10,000, wheras a size 5 city should probably be as many as 500,000 to 1,000,000 people! Lastly, it should be done in such a way that, when you build a military unit, or when you bombard a city, you're not losing 1 million people or more in a single hit!!!!
        But how should this be done? Should it simply be relative to the age, a la CtP I and II. So that, a size 6 city in the ancient age has a lower population to a size 6 city in the Middle Ages?
        Or, should the population number represent some kind of semi-logarithmic scale, with population 1 referring to about 100 people, and population 3 perhaps referring to 1000 people? If the latter, then what should each number represent, in each age, and how should population growth be re-calculated according to this new paradigm? I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

Yours,
        Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
          Sorry, never played colonization I'm afraid !
          Could you please explain their population management system, and I'll see how I could adapt it to my model! Thank you !

Yours,
          Aussie_Lurker.
          Citizens were all single units, all of equal size. You needed one citizen to do anything-one to become a soldier, or a scout, or a pioneer, a preacher, miner, farmer, hunter, cigar maker, so forth.

Citizens could be specialized-common citizens preformed most tasks OK-specialized performed one task excellently and any other task OK. Some citizens were best only for fieldwork, like indentured servants of criminals, though you could always give them guns and make them troops. Indian converts were excellent fieldworkers (better than Europeans-not as good as speicalists), but could not work in town or be armed.

Citizens could be trained by Indians, or educated.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
          X