Deadline For the List for Civ IV's compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadline For the List for Civ IV's compilation

As work progresses on Civilization IV, the relevancy of a List of Ideas for Civ IV declines with every passing day that new coding is accomplished.
    With this spirit of events, I would like to propose a few dates for the compilation of the ideas.
    Frankly, I would assume that a compilation needs to be done and sent out within 1-2 years of the announcment of the game since Civ games usually come out 5 years after another.
    Therefore, Civ IV should come out in 2006... Therefore, our list needs to be completed sometime before July 2005 for it to have any meaning.

Personally, I would think that it would make sense for it to be completed by December 2004.
    And then sent off sometime in January/February 2005 after the Major List Manager looks at everything and compiles it all into a readable format.

Therefore, I am asking you, the community to state what time you think would be ripe for compilation and sending.
    July 30, 2004
    28.57%
    August 30, 2004
    14.29%
    September 30, 2004
    0.00%
    October 2004
    0.00%
    November 2004
    14.29%
    December 2004
    14.29%
    January 2005
    28.57%
    February 2005
    0.00%
    March 2005
    0.00%
    April 2005
    0.00%
    May 2005
    0.00%
    June 2005
    0.00%
    July 2005
    0.00%
    Earlier than Listed
    0.00%
    Later than Listed
    0.00%
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

I don't know that a deadline for compiling a list is all that important. (Sorry, Darkcloud, I know that you really really want to do this.) It seems that the suggestions so far are not being ignored. A bloke called 'Soren' (no, not that one) posted this at CFC:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tentative Civ IV Feature Changes 3/27/04

Civilization fans may be eager to know that Soren Johnson of Firaxis games made a few comments about Civilization IV in his talk on game franchises at the Game Developer's Conference. All the features under consideration are tentative, and given the game's long development schedule may or may not make it into the final version. Still, the focus of Johnson's talk was on removing "unfun" aspects of games to create sufficient conceptual room for improvements. Some of the features under consideration are:

Improved interface and help screens
    Replacing game concepts such as pollution, rioting and corruption with more entertaining concepts that maintain game balance (he described the current pollution model as "playing whack-a-mole").
    Adding concepts of religion and civics
    Introducing more sophisticated concepts of unit experience and upgrades.
    Johnson emphasized that the game is still a long way off, and is being coded from scratch to produce a better final experience. He also mentioned that the team is paying attention to a list of suggestions submitted by fans that is longer than the New Testament. He didn't say how long it took the Firaxis team to slog through it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It might be more useful to them to keep an updated and evolving set of lists linked to the specific posts where the suggestions were made.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
      Still, the focus of Johnson's talk was on removing "unfun" aspects of games to create sufficient conceptual room for improvements.
      Looks like they might learn after all

(he described the current pollution model as "playing whack-a-mole").
      So true

is being coded from scratch to produce a better final experience.
      Bye-bye SMAC engine

Edit: to prevent this thread from going too far off topic, please continue any possible discussion on the Civ4 news here.
      Last edited by Locutus; March 30, 2004, 07:42.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

No mention of stacked combat yet...
        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
        ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Working...
        X