Civ 4: How much should it change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 4: How much should it change?

All right, let me try my hand at a poll here.

The question is, how much should Civ 4 deviate from the Civ formula? (They've probably decided this already or are in the process right now, but, what the hey.)

If Civ 3 was too much for you, pick "retro": all you really want is modernized content, better AI, interface streamlining--but basically the same game as Civ 2.

If you liked Civ 3, but wouldn't want to see the same leap made again, but rather want it to refine the concepts introduced (like culture, borders and UUs), pick "stay the course".

Pick "evolution, not revolution" if you'd like to see a leap, as from Civ 2 to Civ 3. You like the culture, you like the traits, you like the borders (at least conceptually), and you woudln't mind seeing another leap in that direction.

Pick "We say we wanna a revolution!" if you'd like to see Civ 4 totally break the Civ mold and deliver a different (yet somehow still Civ-y) experience.

I've also added "Alpha Centauri" and "Call To Power" options for those who think Civ 4 should really start from there.

To the rest of ya: Bananas!
    Retro! (Civ 2 was perfect!)
    0.00%
    Stay the course! (Get Civ 3 concepts right before adding new ones.)
    7.69%
    Evolution, not revolution! (Civ 3 had the right idea! More! More! More!)
    15.38%
    We say we wanna revolution!
    30.77%
    Start from Call To Power, and try not to screw it up.
    23.08%
    Alpha Centauri was the Alpha and the Omega, start with that!
    7.69%
    Banana! banana! banana!
    15.38%
    [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Banana ! Banana ! Banana !
    L'Arabe Dément
    l'Arabe Fou

H.P. LOVECRAFT

Comment

One solution: Revolution!
      Attached Files
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I had some real trouble voting in that poll! You see, I happen to think that Civ3 DID get a lot of things right, but went backwards from Civ2/SMAC-in the areas of diplomacy/trade, civil wars and FIREPOWER, just to name a few-whilst also leaving in bad stuff from civ2, like unlimited RR movement! At the same time, I felt that the CtP series did have a lot going for it too, but they also made a lot of screw ups! So, rather than an outright revolution, I believe that a fusion of the best of SMAC/Civ2/Civ3/Ctp(s) would make a brilliant start point, and then they can begin the evolution of the game from there!

Yours,
        The_Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

In the immortal words of the mortal Jerry Garcia, "Ya can't please everyone."

But thanks for contributing, lurker. Either the subject's already been mined out or people weren't really interested in the first place.
          [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

Working...
          X