End Time; 2000 AD or 3000 AD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lajzar

I guess that means that regardless of what we say here, they didn't really listen to their customers.
    No, what it means is, we're not their customers.

Firaxis gives Apolyton its props, but no one should be deluded that a game that sells hundreds of thousands (millions?) of copies is going to be strongly influenced by the opinions of a few thousand hardcore fanatics.

We could all evaporate and it wouldn't impact the bottom line.

I've seen what happens when developers take their cue from the fans. It's not pretty. (HOMM IV, anyone?)

As Fosse said, we're a little insane.

[ok]
    [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

I would like to see the finish closer to 3000 than 2000...

we start so long ago, it can only be good for us to be willing to peak a little into the future
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Yes after going through the old ages for so long we wish to enjoy the present and future ages to the full.

Comment

You guys are making it sound like playing the ancient and medeival ages are a chore!

With so many people enjoying the early game and the medieval ages as much as they do, I'd rather see work done to broaden the scope of the earlier game than make it even less of the total game length.

Comment

Originally posted by Fosse
            You guys are making it sound like playing the ancient and medeival ages are a chore!

With so many people enjoying the early game and the medieval ages as much as they do, I'd rather see work done to broaden the scope of the earlier game than make it even less of the total game length.
            Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by Fosse
              Me too. If you want anti-gravity tanks and robot infantry to play with in the year 2500, which things from the earlier ages do you want to lose in order to make room for them?

Personally I wouldn't mind it stopping in the *near* future, simply to give us a chance to play with the latest toys for a little longer before the game ends; in particular, the spaceship gets launched too early, in my opinion. I think that if the spaceship is kept, which it should be, it ought to require a few futuristic and perhaps slightly fictional advances, rather than c. 2000 technology - after all, we're hardly close to flying to Alpha Centauri right now. But that's all.

The point of Civilization is meant to be seeing how you would do controlling one of the great civilisations from history. Would you go the way of the Pharaohs or survive to modern times? It's a game that's set in real-life history, or rather, an alternative version of real-life history that might have happened if things had been different (if the continents had been different, if different cultures had been next to each other, or if - God forbid - Bamspeedy had been in charge of the French). I think that messing about with future science fiction, fun though it would undoubtedly be, would be to lose sight of that basic plot. I think that the makers of the game are well aware of this, which is why Conquests is the way it is - focusing more on particular parts of real-life history and letting us play them for ourselves. You'll note that there is no weird Star Trek Conquest or anything of that nature. On the basis of this, I doubt very much that any future Civilization game will go further into the future than any of the others have.

Comment

What I'd like is for each tech to be defined internally as being from a particular era. However, this should have no effect during a game.

During set up, the player chooses a starting era and a finish era. All teach earlier than the starting era can be researched at 1/10 normal cost. All techs later than the chosen finish era are forever unobtainable. The system will adjust the research costs to make the amount of beakers the same regardless of which part of the tech tree the player wants available.

This way, players could choose when they want the game to end. But definitely, if it is a choice between shipping with a longer tech tree or a broader one, let's go for breadth. But make the system such that a modder can add the length. I don't want it to ship with, say, 60 techs in the default game and a hard coded limit of 64 techs in any modpack. I want to be able to produce broad and deep mods.
                The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
                And quite unaccustomed to fear,
                But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
                Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

Including far [>2100 AD] future is IMO a sick idea. if you like SF just play SMAC, not civ... I like s-f but not in Civilization.

SM Civilization has always been realistic, and I hope it will be so. Why? Science-fiction just don't fit to Civ. What I like in civ is realism. Everything what is presented in the game existed in real. adding future sacrifies realism with no mercy...

adding the future perhaps would be good if we could predict the future and see what it look like . But we can't unfortunately...

Comment

I also prefere a timespan up to 2000 and something. Plotinus and many others pointed the reason out in another tread to the same question or here: Broader game in a shorter timespan over a thinner one for a longer span.
                    Arne · Das Civilization Forum

Comment

The more I think about it, the more the broader shorter game argument seems like the winning one.

I've been opposed to far future for a while as a matter of personal taste, and therefore stuck arguing my opinion that sci-fi in any whole history game will be lame. But the truth that adding a future timeline will necessitate limiting content throughout the rest of the game seems to be an ironclad argument against the far flung future.

With most people reporting that the early ages are their favorites, and many asking for more techs, buildings, and units from all current eras, there seems to be little room for the future.

Comment

My preference is broad and long. However, realistically, the developers aren't going to do both. So the best solution I think is to ship it with a BROAD epic scenario.

However, the game should ship with enough room (ie unallocated unit slots, tech slots, mod options, etc) that a sufficiently interested modder can expand it to broad and long.
                        The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
                        And quite unaccustomed to fear,
                        But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
                        Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

Jeezes, how many 'end game' polls have been made???

It's not that big of a deal, is it?
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                          X