Terrains and terrain Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrains and terrain Improvements

I propose the following list of improvements. No specific numbers yet.

[basic terrain types]
    Mountain
    Hill
    grass
    plains
    desert
    tundra
    glacier

Jungle, forest, and swamp are 'improvements' in this model.

Some terraforming should be allowed. With really advanced technology, it should be possibel to terraform a mountain into a hill. However, the system should remember the original terrain. While a mountain can be transformed into a hill, and a hill into plains, a tile that was originally a mountain cannot be levelled into plains.

[Sea terrains]
    Coast
    Seas
    Oceans
    Iceburgs
    Ice Cap
    Shallows

Coast, sea, and oceans are as per civ3. Iceburgs represent a shipping hazard, and ice caps are impassable except for subs. Shallows represent about 1/5 of all coast tiles, and possibly other areas (such as teh Dogger Bank in the North Sea). The following special rules apply to shallows:

Certain large ships (carriers, dreadnoughts, battleships) cannot enter shallows.

Most units can only unload from a transport if the transport is in a shallows tile or if unloading into a friendly city.

Marines (including any unit with this flag) can unload from a transport into hostile cities or from normal coast tiles.

[Natural]
    Forest (plains/grass/hill only)
    Jungle (grass only)
    Swamp (grass only)
    Nature Park

Forest, swamp, and jungle replace the traditional separate terrain types. This isn't a gameplay change, as these terrain types couldn't have farms or mines anyway. It is more a change in the internal logic used. The Nature Park corresponds to national parks. It appears around late industrial times (Yellowstone was the world's first iirc), and provides a trade bonus and a pollution bonus.

[Industrial]
    Mines
    Deep Mines
    Mega Mines
    Oil Rigs

Lots of industry, and pollution as a consequential side effect of that. Oil rigs do the same for the sea.

[Food]
    Irrigation
    Farm
    Genetic Farm
    Fishing Nets
    Fishery
    Sea Farm

Irrigation is ancient farming. Probably needs a better name. Farms refers to late medieval crop rotation techniques through to modern farms. Genetic farm refers to genetic engineering. It provides increased food and some pollution. Fisheries etc do the same for sea tiles.

Hills can only be irrigated once you have the terrace farming technology, and until you have desalination technology, you should only be able to irrigate from a fresh water source. It should never be possible to irrigate a mountain.

Hydroponics should be a city improvement, as they dont take up vast areas of land to run. Think Algae vats and mushroom farms.

[Transport]
    Undersea tunnel
    Tracks
    (Roman) Road
    Highway

Provides 2/3, 1/3, and 1/5 normal move costs, respectively. Undersea tunnels provide 1/5 move cost, but if pillaged, all land units in connected tiles drown.

Rail depots are a city improvement that provides transport facilities similar to Civ2 airports.

[Miscellaneous]
    Suburb
    Outpost
    Radar Station
    Sonar Buoy
    Fort - Castle - Bunker
    Airfield

Suburbs increase the maximum population of the city. They also cause an increase in pollution (longer commutes).

Outposts and radar stations provide increased vision. Sonar buoys do the same in the sea. Radar and sonar also detects stealth units.

Forts provide a defensive bonus. Any land unit with an attack factor fortified in a fort should have a zoc as in civ2. Forts are subdivided by era, with increasing defensive bonuses.

Airfields provide a landing site for aircraft.

[Pollution]
    pollution
    radiation
    zerg creep
    undead blight
    fungus

Yeah, I want the system to be flexible enough to allow any of these. Only nukes or malfunctionaing reactors should produce radiation. Not sure how the others could be defined, but I'd love to see them implemented.
    The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
    And quite unaccustomed to fear,
    But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
    Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Try to propose this here so that it'll be included in the List. If you wanna know where to write something for the List, look at the List's Directory.

Some of these things could be neat, yup
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

"Here" being the ADCT Game A Results: Winter 1903 Results thread? I'm obviously missing something, because I don't quite see the relevance.
      The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
      And quite unaccustomed to fear,
      But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
      Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

erm... well I pointed the wrong place, sorry
        Just use the directory to find the right thread :P
        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD!

Moderators, please delete this thread.

Thanks.