Scoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoring

I think that the Civ 3 scoring model is OK, but the score in Civ 4 should also depend on your reputation. That would encourage fair play.

What do you think?
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

That depends on how reputation is determined. As it stands in Civ 3, no thanks.

jon.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Yeah, the reputation system sucks. I once played a game where I attacked no one, but only responded to the attacks of others. Unfortunately for them, my response led to the downfall of their empires.

But then I'd have third parties reminding me of the evil deeds I had committed.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

The scoring system as it stands is terrible. It rewards civilisation size and nothing else. The score should be combination of everything - size, proportion of happy to unhappy citizens, technological status, wealth, diplomatic status, culture - in other words, all the things you try to play for in the game. Size should be one of these things, but only one element among others. A large, bad civilisation should not invariably get a higher score than a small, good one, but that is how it is at the moment.

Comment

Why not points for magnanimity and making charitable peace settlements and a combined score based on reputation.

Cool name BTW Plotinus.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

And another thing - points should be lost for using slaves or horrible unnecessary massacres.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon Cool name BTW Plotinus.
              Why thank you - we Greek-derived monikers must stick together, mustn't we!

Comment

How often is the score going to be close enough for the scoring system to be important?

Comment

Plotinus, wasn't Plotinus Roman?
                  Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                    How often is the score going to be close enough for the scoring system to be important?
                    if the scoring system was good it could be useful for comparison, both to your own different games and to others
                    You saw what you wanted
                    You took what you saw
                    We know how you did it
                    Your method equals wipe out

Comment

[Trifna] I don't believe it's known where Plotinus came from originally, but he was educated in Alexandria and taught in Rome. Both of these places were part of the Roman Empire in the third century, when he lived, but of course he spoke Greek (and wrote it very badly), and his name was Greek (although the "us" ending is a Latinisation). Culturally, Plotinus was Greek, and spent his time discussing texts by Plato. The cultural divide between Greek and Roman was still there despite the unity of the Empire, and it would later blossom into the divided Empire of Latin-speaking West and Greek-speaking East which we know from the Fall of Rome Conquest.

Comment

Thanks. It's always nice to lurn something
                        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Working...
                        X