No announcement yet.

Civ 4 ideas - Straits and Canals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just hope Rivers go back to being on tiles as opposed to between them. There should be units (viking longboats for instance) that can travel along those rivers. In the modern age there should be a unit that does that (perhaps marines can go on land, attack from sea, and travel faster on rivers).

Canals would also be a great addition, I've been longing for them since Civ II, when I had to build a city to act as a Canal, and I could only have that one square long.

Still, Canals should be big projects, given the size of a square. It should take 30-40 turns for one worker to make a Canal. That way you have to devote a number of workers too it.

Then they could add in a new small wonder which you can make after building a Canal of 4 lengths or so.

-Drachasor
    "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

After reading thread twice--Optimizer's original idea sounds best. I'm not getting the Wonder idea at all--just where would the canals be again?
      "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Originally posted by RMS
        After reading thread twice--Optimizer's original idea sounds best. I'm not getting the Wonder idea at all--just where would the canals be again?
        I don't know what the wonder would do, as to where the Canals would be, somewhere in your territory. I just think of the Panama Canal and that is basically a Wonder of modern times (so much effort and life was spent building it). It would be nice if Civ gave that work a nod.

Perhaps the Canal Project small wonder would halve the build time of future Canals.

-Drachasor
        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Hmm, as for the original idea, I don't think Canals (or RR for that matter) should give commerce or trade bonuses to the square. Rather they should allow connections between cities and the more cities you have connected the more of a bonus you should get. Perhaps the type of connections should matter too, so a City with a port and road connection to other cities gets more than one that just has a road and must use another city's port.

-Drachasor

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor
            Hmm, as for the original idea, I don't think Canals (or RR for that matter) should give commerce or trade bonuses to the square. Rather they should allow connections between cities and the more cities you have connected the more of a bonus you should get. Perhaps the type of connections should matter too, so a City with a port and road connection to other cities gets more than one that just has a road and must use another city's port.

-Drachasor
            I gotta disagree

I think if one goes through the time and effort of a canal then most certainly they should get +bonus's+ from it!

U would have barges or riverboats bringing good and people in so thats why I would say a bonus!

But, thats just me talking about a scenrio i would have if it is ever possible!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll I gotta disagree

I think if one goes through the time and effort of a canal then most certainly they should get +bonus's+ from it!

U would have barges or riverboats bringing good and people in so thats why I would say a bonus!

But, thats just me talking about a scenrio i would have if it is ever possible!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
              Yeah, hence the cities connected to each other via roads, railroads, oceans, and sea bonus. If you bring a canal in to a city, then you have made another connection for it, which would give it a trade bonus (like a trade route in Civ 2). It wouldn't come from any tile, just from being able to trade directly with other places via the oceon.

Besides, you get a pretty big bonus just from having a canal into a city anyhow. Those big production cities you have can now all build ships for you. That's a pretty insane bonus, if you ask me. It doesn't need anything else.

-Drachasor

Comment

Excellent idea. I voted yes. I'd also like to see navigatable rivers.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor
                  I just think of the Panama Canal and that is basically a Wonder of modern times (so much effort and life was spent building it).
                  The Panama Canal is 51 miles long. The one dug in China in 600-700CE is 2400 kilometers long.

No, definitely not a wonder.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The Panama Canal is 51 miles long. The one dug in China in 600-700CE is 2400 kilometers long.

No, definitely not a wonder.
                    The one dug in China did not carry 50,000+ ton ships across
                    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I guess you aren't aware of the massive death toll from the jungles, the digging through mountains, the use of steam powered digging machines that barely overame the constant mudslides, and the many, many other difficulties that faces the builders of the Panama Canal. I'd also note that it is 300 feet across.

I assume you are referring to the Grand Canal, which my information says is 1,794 kilometers long. This Canal perhaps has wonder status too, but it didn't have anything close to the terrain difficulties, or other difficulties.

-Drachasor

Comment

I agree that it is a wonder of modern engineering (like the Hoover Dam). I guess the game can't include everything that is wonder-worthy.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Workers shoud die easily while building canals. They allways do. Would give me another reason for keeping those captured foreign workers too.
                          How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

If canals are implemented, I think a 1 or 2 tile limit should be imposed (dependant upon map size - 1 tile for tiny/small maps, 2 tiles for standard/large/huge).

Bridges, other than over rivers = no. The scale is wrong, IMO.

Navicable rivers Yeah, that would be cool. Tying in with that, I river tiles that are navicable should require relatively advanced technology to build a bridge over (engineering at the very least. Perhaps steel?), as opposed to normal river tiles which could have roads over them early on.

Even with navicable rivers, though, I think certain ship types should still be barred - like Battleships & Carriers.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              If canals are implemented, I think a 1 or 2 tile limit should be imposed (dependant upon map size - 1 tile for tiny/small maps, 2 tiles for standard/large/huge).

Bridges, other than over rivers = no. The scale is wrong, IMO.

Navicable rivers Yeah, that would be cool. Tying in with that, I river tiles that are navicable should require relatively advanced technology to build a bridge over (engineering at the very least. Perhaps steel?), as opposed to normal river tiles which could have roads over them early on.

Even with navicable rivers, though, I think certain ship types should still be barred - like Battleships & Carriers.

-Arrian
                              I agree!!

as for naval vesels maybe a rivereene craft, a shallow draft armed with machine guns and maybe a small rocket launcher of sorts?

Peace
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Ironclads. They could use rivers, a la the Mississippi and Ohio rvs during the US civil war.
                                "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Working...
                                X