Idea for "Temporary Wonders"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for "Temporary Wonders"

I was thinking, what if there were wonders that could be built by every civ. Once a civ builds it, they get the benifits for a certain number of turns. After, they no longer have that wonder, and all civs can attempt to build it again.

The benefits would be mostly cultural and commerce, but their could be others.

Suggestions:

Olympics
    World Cup
    Gladiator Games
    World Trade Organization
    UN Secretary General

Also, perhaps "Guardian of" certain items, such as the Holy Grail, the Mona Lisa, etc.

Just a thought...
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

cool idea
    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

I don't know, the feel just doesn't seem civ...

How about they petition the UN for certain 'Projects' instead of having to build wonders?

And they can bid on the LABOR/CREDIT/PRODUCTION costs for each of them in the UN...

I think that would work better- (and give the UN more things to do)

and the options could still be temporary...
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Interesting idea, but:

Olympics/World Cup/Gladiator Games is something that happens in less than a year, and it does absolutely not come by building it you know.

WTO is an organization, and is not something you build. Also, I doubt it will be closed down, and then be gone some turns, untill it it started again.

UN Secretary General is a job, and is not buildable. It also is a part of the UN(which can be built), and suits better as a diplomatic option like in SMAC, IMHO.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I agree that these things don't really make much sense to be 'built', but if all nations could vote on the issue, say am election for the Gaurdian of the Mona Lisa would be between the nations with the cities of greatest culture, and having the mona lisa in your city would act as a tourist attraction and give that city more culture. Maybe a Civ has to build the Mona Lisa first, and after building it, that country could choose weather hold a vote or just to keep it- but to give an incentive to vote, if a nation doesn't hold an election, then the Mona Lisa wouldn't produce culture or be an attration. The same ideas would apply to holding the Olympics and such, and later on these issues could be voted on in the UN once it is built.

Comment

I think that these would be better served as small,yet unique wonders. For instance, the Holy Grail should be only slightly important, but unique.
            Vote Democrat
            Support Democracy

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
              Interesting idea, but:

Olympics/World Cup/Gladiator Games is something that happens in less than a year, and it does absolutely not come by building it you know.

WTO is an organization, and is not something you build. Also, I doubt it will be closed down, and then be gone some turns, untill it it started again.

UN Secretary General is a job, and is not buildable. It also is a part of the UN(which can be built), and suits better as a diplomatic option like in SMAC, IMHO.
              Ah, so we should only "build" things in Civ that are really "buildable" - like Women's Suffrage, Theory of Evolution, Knights Templar, Sun Tzu's Art of War, the United Nations, etc, etc?

Comment

The UN is a building. Women's Sufferage was built up from male sufferage to universal sufferage. The Theory of Evolution and The Art of War were built up from a base of research. Knights Templar had their armor built.
                Vote Democrat
                Support Democracy

Comment

so we should only "build" things in Civ that are really "buildable" - like Women's Suffrage, Theory of Evolution, Knights Templar, Sun Tzu's Art of War, the United Nations, etc, etc
                  Honestly, we shouldn't be able to build any of those.

I suggest that we use them as "Research initiatives" that work like bonus wonders, etc.

or as UN initiatives for some of the more recent ones (such as the Olympics, etc.)
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                  X