What Civ 4 needs: New Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Civ 4 needs: New Look

IMO, the look and feel of Civ 3 was too comic, colorful, bland and gamish. I'd like Civ 4 to go back to appearing serious, historical, stylised and Civ themed, instead of disney- style. Like Imperialism was, and even CTP 1. Civ 2 kept it simple. 4 should emphasis on the history and seriousness that is Civ. Most players are older than 16 anyway, so why make it look like a kiddie game? Thats the impression Civ 3 gives me.
    What do you all think?
    I agree, more thematic and serious, kill those comic advisors!
    37.88%
    I disagree, I like the playful look of it all, and oh, those advisors are so cuuute!
    13.64%
    Give us a full length bar, ala age of empires, CTP.
    13.64%
    I like the minimalized interface.
    15.15%
    Less glitz, smaller units, nothing under the city name.
    7.58%
    I'd perfer only minor changes to the look.
    12.12%
    "Yesterday we bent our backs and paid homage to the kings, today we kneel only to the Truth." - Deus Ex

I was never bothered by the light-hearted appearances of the civilization leaders and my advisors.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I agree with getting rid of the "gaminess."

Almost all of the "atmosphere" of Civ 3 served merely to draw me out of the game.

I don't mind that Civ 3 had some humor added, but I would mind if Civ 4 followed suit.

Comment

I liked the basic look of Civ 2. I felt that all the information I needed was at my finger tips. Just by going down a menu, I could get all the information I needed. Now, just add better graphics, and the look could be great.
        Vote Democrat
        Support Democracy

Comment

I would just like it to be les bubbly. I liked Civ II's general look- everything was clean and easily accessable. Perhaps they could 'streamline' it and make it look like Galactic Civ's strong interface (but in a civII way) and have the bars different colors... but be in strong rectangles and bars.

I actually liked the cartoony advisors... but didn't really like the cartoony leaders- these are nations great leaders for heavens sake! Give them their dignity!

This is a game for strategists and wargamers not for 8-year old kids Even the mass market isn't as 'fluffy' as Firaxis seems to believe
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Civ 4 can become a serious civilization growth and war gaming experience - if they aim it for the 18+ year old market. Most younger players (not all) want shoot to kill games or cartoony graphics games. If they try to please all levels they will end up pleasing very few if any.

For Conquests they used a serious wargaming type of company with Breakaway. They should use them to help with the design and then production of Civ4 - (for adults).

Computer games companies need to realize that adults will play serious and realistic computer games, just as much as kids will play simplistic and frivilous games.
            "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

I can't believe how ignorant you are. I started playing civ when I was eleven.

Comment

I was 10 when I started.
                Vote Democrat
                Support Democracy

Comment

Still, most players, even the younger ones, think that, although the cartoony leaders and advisors are funny, they don't add to the game.
                  Vote Democrat
                  Support Democracy

Comment

lets get with the Program, This is not Buzz Lightyear, my Dad plays this.
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Skywalker, I started Civ 2 when I was 10.
                      Do you like the bubbly look of 3?
                      "Yesterday we bent our backs and paid homage to the kings, today we kneel only to the Truth." - Deus Ex

Comment

I dislike the fact that C3 isn't windowed like C2 was (it takes a bit longer to alt-tab out of C3, so it's more risky playing it when I'm supposed to be doing homework ) but I actually like the look-and-feel of C3 better. It doesn't feel "cartoony" to me, but rather "civvy". C2 seemed too austere.

Comment

I'd rather see a darker, more serious "epic" civ. Civ3 was a bit childish, especially some of the unit animations, the advisors and leaderheads. Also the look of the map is a bit bland and smooth. I'd prefer to see darker forests, craggy mountains, bleak wastelands, as well as lush grasslands and rolling plains.

Just my 3 cents

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Use Sn00py's graphics

Comment

I like SnOOpy's graphics, but more varied. Cliffs, badlands, sand dunes, mesa's, so on and so forth....

back on topic -

I am not opposed to the 'bubbly' look. I prefer the windows environment that civ 2 was in, particularly the drop down menus.

The inherent humer (gotta love having Elvis as an advisor) has always been a part of civ, and I miss it now that it isn't there as much as it was in civ 1 & 2. Don't get me wrong, Civ3 is OK, but nothing great. Nothing on the epic scale of Cheese.

I could do with it looking a little less like a cartoon, with the leaderheads. To tell the truth, I could do without the leaderheads all together.
                              If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Working...
                              X