No announcement yet.

From Civ3 to Civ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I actually think the far limit for changes between Civ3 and Civ4 is the one we had seen from Civ2 to Ctp. We cannot expect Civ4 to be SO different from our old loved civ, just some little graphic/civ/unit/engine changes will make for.

By the way, maybe some 3D applied in here will do. What about full 3d city aereal views?
    Era de noche, y sin embargo llovía...

Estoy participando en PBEM Los 4 PuNtos, ¡Ponte otra de Grog! y Vive le France!

Comment

Originally posted by Bragelonne
      By the way, maybe some 3D applied in here will do. What about full 3d city aereal views?
      Like SimCity2000?
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

How often have you civer's actually use the overhead view.

For me I stopped after the second time playing. I just think its a waist of time, it means nothing to the grand strategy of winning.

What say rest of you
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

If you mean the city aerial view, its okay, but it's lower on the priority list for graphic enhancements.

I miss the infinite zoom feature (okay, it's not really infinite - but it's better than the two view zoom in CivIII). I hope cIV will return to the Civ2 zoom feature. If this could be integrated into the most granular view being the city view...that would be neat.
          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex

For me I stopped (using aerial view) after the second time playing. I just think its a waist of time, it means nothing to the grand strategy of winning.
            Listen, I know the Aerial view is not really NECCESARY (God damn my Anglish), but it is really cool; well at least some of us like watching our little cities grow in different areas, and particularly some aerial pics form Civ3 are really fantastic.

So, it´s true that you don´t use so much, but the times you use it it feels great. If it were only for the great strategy, you could turn back to the old Civ2 thingie.

Comment

Okay

How about adding aerial views of your favorite sieges/battles

That has possibilities..
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

ya, it would be...

Comment

Those city views would need redone anyway. My largest cities looked kind of sparse when I zoom in. A first person view of the streets would be neat (especially if tanks are rolling down them ).
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

I went with signifigant although i do think the map and movement need and overhall. I think point-to-point vector based movement system and all it entails for changing map would be great, but aside that i the rest would be conservative changes.
                    Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
                    Mitsumi Otohime
                    Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

Significant departure for me
                      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I want a radical change. In particular I want realism. I believe the only way to achieve this is to abstract away city placement in favour of just national borders. (Having settlers being units that expand national borders). Special buildings or types of units might be required to create disconnected parts of a nation (on different contininents, etc). Each connected set of borders should manage as one city, but allow for simultaneous production (say a maximum of 5 queues with % assignment). Anyways details can be worked out. I think this qualifies as a very radical change.

Comment

Originally posted by CivalusMaximus
                          I want a radical change. In particular I want realism. I believe the only way to achieve this is to abstract away city placement in favour of just national borders. (Having settlers being units that expand national borders). Special buildings or types of units might be required to create disconnected parts of a nation (on different contininents, etc). Each connected set of borders should manage as one city, but allow for simultaneous production (say a maximum of 5 queues with % assignment). Anyways details can be worked out. I think this qualifies as a very radical change.
                          That's an interesting concept, but I think it is hard to go for realism and ignore the impact of individual cities. The story of most civilizations is in their great cities - Babylon, Beijeng, New York, London, Rome - it's hard to tell the history of a civilization without mentioning these places.

Perhaps if their role was toned down - maybe several smaller cities, that with time could combine into the larger megalopis' of modern times as they grew.

I agree that cities may be too focused upon. The concept leaves entire areas of the map outside of any useful role except military strategy.

Is the point to get away from cities entirely, or to cut down on Micro-management?
                          "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

In writing my response to CivalusMaximus, I had another idea...It tends to be the case that undeveloped land isn't worth much in an empire. What if it could be worth something in happiness points, say as national forest or nature preserve. What if other civs got ticked at you for chopping down your rain forests?
                            "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

Originally posted by fezick31
                              In writing my response to CivalusMaximus, I had another idea...It tends to be the case that undeveloped land isn't worth much in an empire. What if it could be worth something in happiness points, say as national forest or nature preserve. What if other civs got ticked at you for chopping down your rain forests?
                              Nasty. I always liked to clear a continent's worth of jungle.

Comment

I've finally started playing ctp2, and I enjoy its features more than civ3. Public works and automatic assignment of workers makes the game much faster. Automatic assignment I thought would take away from strategy, it doesn't, you plan to develop rings around cities instead of tiles, and taking slaves is just fun. ctp2 doesn't have the game breakers of ctp1, like the Philosphers Stone, which could give you all the other civs techs.

Signifiant, but if you come up with good enough ideas, radical!

Comment

Working...
                                X