From Civ3 to Civ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panag

or to put a couple games and scen's inside that can only be reached after playing all civs on the hardest level or so
    That's a brilliant idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
      MUST HAVE

multi player allready with the game, no more buying another game

And a fully capable editor, this includes:

1. The ability to edit virtually any unit, city, citizen state, City Improvement, Wonder, ect.
      2. The ability to add new units, wonders, and city improvements within the editor with minimal modding.
      3. Ranking the mods and scenerios in the HOF (include the mod name to insure that it is a documented mod)
      4. Allow the activation of the palace in mods.
      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by panag
        or to put a couple games and scen's inside that can only be reached after playing all civs on the hardest level or so , ....

ok, is there anyone who was time and skills for that?

i voted "substancial changes"... something like civ2-->civ3. the addition of culture was a great step!
        - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
        - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

PROPS to Mad Bomber

Is anyone keeping notes?
          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf

ok, is there anyone who was time and skills for that?

i voted "substancial changes"... something like civ2-->civ3. the addition of culture was a great step!

hi ,

more then you think , .... and it could be included in steps , for example two games on deity giv you this , two on this give you that , etc , ....

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

A significant change:

Using percentages, I want it to have SMAC's social model, Colonization's Economic model as a base, Civ3's resource model modified, a mix of the Civ3 and SMAC military model, EU's diplomacy and some of it's tech modes, the better features of CtP2 and so forth.

There have been great ideas in so many TBS in the last 10 years-I would love Civ4 to be a compilation of all the best ideas.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

For the longest time Civ games set the standard

I would hate to see them use other games ideas

This is what makes Civ "Civ"

After all how many perfect games are out there?

Keep the juices flowing
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Significant. I'm a little afraid about a total change that makes me feel an alien in Civ.

The Civ4 editor must add events like Civ2
                  Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

Voted Significant.

I'd like to see an update that doesn't have graphics so slick they slow my computer down. That's getting to be an issue...I'd rather see Civ2 level graphics and an advanced AI than I would see great graphics and a mediocre AI. Less bark, more bite. And frankly, beyond a certian point, I'd like to be able to shut off the graphics since seeing units fight ad nauseam just bores me.

I'd also like to see a reworking of the UN concept. I honestly couldn't get into Civ3 because of the graphics and the fact that it didn't offer me some of the attributes I preferred from ToT.

One interesting idea would be allowing modern-era civs to have food distribution to prevent starvation, and to allow major cities to become truly great.

But the bottom line is this: Chuck the complex graphics, and give me a great game.

Comment

As a comment on GePap's comment...
                      "A significant change:

Using percentages, I want it to have SMAC's social model, Colonization's Economic model as a base, Civ3's resource model modified, a mix of the Civ3 and SMAC military model, EU's diplomacy and some of it's tech modes, the better features of CtP2 and so forth.

There have been great ideas in so many TBS in the last 10 years-I would love Civ4 to be a compilation of all the best ideas."

Ok. I love the SMAC Social Engineering model...give it a few more options to deal with the time covered, but this is good. And I love the EU diplomacy ideas, though some tweaking should be done. I preferred the terrain improvement model of CtP/CtP2 to some extent, since you didn't have to constantly shift settlers or workers or formers around. One addition I'd like is a 20th-Century diplomacy model, to become active later on. In other words, the later in the game you go, the harder it becomes to achieve a conquest victory, since the whole world might decide to gang up on you. Another idea would be to give the AI occasional fits of pacifism following really bloody wars. Essentially, draw enough blood and the AI for one country might decide to curl up in a corner for 20 turns and let you have concessions.

One thing I like about SMAC was that, if the chips fall decently well, I can win without firing a shot in battle(mind worms notwithstanding given their inherent non-human nature). Which can actually be trickier than winning via conquest(experimenting with this currently...it is its own brand of fun; strategy doesn't just mean 'how do I kill all my enemies quickly,' as Europa Universalis showed). But that's just me...

Comment

Needs events, and a good event editor/creator. And no cheap, flimsy memory limit on events - i want to be able to have FULL of event if i want. Memory allowance for events was too low in Civ2, and still too low in ToT. New triggers for events would be needed as well.

Also, a unit editor that can give easy access to making units animation pics (without having to resort to using "foreign" tools (that is not included with the game))

Oh, and i said this elsewhere, but i'll say it again: multi-tiered maps .

JH
                        There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives. :)

Comment

If you want a new game don't give it the name "CIV" if its a "CIV4" it god damn better be a CIV game... oh and 4 with a shift is $
                          Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                          So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                          rocking on everest

Comment

on swiss keyboard a SHIFT-4 is actually a 'ç' (a french cédille)

CIV would be better if 'C IV' or 'CivIV'... but then... who cares, as long as the game is good
                            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

<herd-mentality>

Significant change

I agree with most people on this. If all we get is a smoother graphics and new units, I'll stick with Civ 3 and the many mods. However, if tptb see fit to really rework the game - knowing now what was most popular in the past three games - they could create something great.

If they stick with the old model, you end up trying to fit new ideas into the old model - sometimes it works (culture & borders) and sometimes it doesn't work as well (stacked combat).

However, if they begin from the ground up, they worry about how to make new features great, and how to make the game great, not keeping it within a predefined box.

With that approach, they may end up with a game that looks completely different, or or it may look very familiar, but it will be BETTER.

CIV is kinda like a car - it still needs wheels, but you don't see many Model T's on the road. I doubt the drivers of those antiques didn't mind them then, but what would they have thought if they could have compared them to a Ferrari?

</herd-mentaility>
                              "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                                I voted "slight", but I'm really somewhere between slight and significant. I want the feel of Civ3 to stay, but some things to change that can only be changed in a new game (I don't want this to simply be an XP in another guise).

Exactly how I feel.
                                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                                2004 Presidential Candidate
                                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                                X