From Civ3 to Civ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straybow
    If getting rid of #^*@ culture flipping .
    you realize that's optional in Civ3, don't you? Has been for (I think) even before PTW came out.

Comment

the problem with civ is it's design is like 10 years or old or whatever and it shows. compared to newer strategy games(think paradox games for a good example) civ looks childish in it's simulation of history. it's still very fun but it's realism is horrible now compared to newer games. i'd really like to see it strive for more realism as long as the fun doesn't suffer.
      Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Yup, RoN is so realistic.

Face it - no strategy game spanning history even approaches realism.

Comment

I would like to see growth from the developers in the game.

Yet, I play Civ because I like the Civ concepts.

So my hope is that the designers can take on board the many discussions that are on this and other sites, and then come back with the next generation of the game.

Gurka 17, People of the Valley
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

I want Civ4 to be about 10 to 20 % Civ1, 15 to 20 % Civ2, 15 to 20 % Civ 3, 10 % Colonization, 3 to 10 % SMAC, 1 to 5 % CtP1, 1 to 5 % CtP2, 0 to 1 % other, and 10 to 40 % new.

Comment

just want a game that is good for MP ......
              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Voted significant. civ3 is basically a pretty spiced up version of civ1. with the exception of resources and the tweak of certain combat elements it is much the same. Civ1 was based on the board game civilization. for those who havent played it you build cities that generate trade and you try to develop your nation and get the best score before time runs out. sound familiar?
                the board game and civ1 couldnt take more factors into consideration or every turn would take several hours to work through. but now....
                A civilization is not just its cities. they are merely the centers of technology and production. and cities produce very little food... the availability of food is a basis for a city, but as it grows it imports that food from other places, usually outlying farms and such. which is why I propose the following radical change: eliminate the city radius totally! the square you build the city in must be fertile or else theres no basis for its existence, as it grows it will have to get food from the surrounding area. early on when transportation is slow you need good squares right nearby but as time goes on you can get the food from further away.
                example: america's biggest cities are not in the grainproducing midwest, but elsewhere. the food made in the food rich areas are transported to where the people are, not the other way around. the basis for most cities is trade. the possibility to prosper is the most fundamental base for a city, thus the more trade the more people, limited by availability of food.
                Other factors should be taken into consideration as well, certain governments will draw more people and speed growth.
                Point is that the possibilities we have are not as limited as they were when civ1 was made. thus more things could and should be implemented. The computer can easily take care of things outside the cities filling up a big empty hole in the civilization series.
                Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Civ is Civ. If you change it too much then it will not be Civ it will be something else. Do you want Civ4 or do you want CTP3 or AOE2 or....
                  ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
                  "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
                  Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

MUST HAVE

multi player allready with the game, no more buying another game

anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

amen to that
                      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

hi ,

A significant departure. i want a new game, but i dont want it to be alien from my good 'ole civ

but there should be things , innovations , etc , .... and more realism , unit trading , more techs , food trading , etc , .... but we should also have the option to play a huge game with loads of options , techs etc , .... and a shorter more limited game , .... and way more prepared options

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                          MUST HAVE

:worship:

Comment

I vote "significant" because I like the Civilization concept, but found Civ3 to be a very poor successor of the serie.

Aside from the resource control concept, I have mainly bad grades to dispatch to Civ3: very poor military handling, limited scope with no vision offered of future development, poor diplomacy that gives the image of an effort without actually making it, poor economic model, some completely unrealistic concepts maintained such as the "magical railway" of "Beam me up Mr Spock" type, many oversimplified items like trading without bothering about viability of trade routes through enemy territory, etc... And not even an effort to ofer some eye candy in compensation, most having been sacrificed, such as the wonder movies, or an end sequence other than just a bunch of statistics of economic nature while all through the game you had very little macro economic control tools... Very disappointing indeed. Looked much more like a version 2.0 of Civ2 than like a new Civ3!

It seems like the Sid Meier team was sleeping while Activision released Call To Power 2, which is more satisfying in many ways...

Civ3 as it is appeared to me as a cheap game. Someone (Shogun Gunner I think) said he'd understand some features may be hard to developp because too costly or complicated. I disagree. Todays computing power allows for very complex algorithm. If the developper team cannot conceive them, then let them retire and hire me, because without being a computer analyst, I am able to develop such complex algorithms. And as for the money side, Civilization is a major item of PC gaming. If it's not worth investing money in it, then let them retire and go fishing!
                            As you see, my disappointment in Civ3 is deep.
                            Where everybody thinks alike, nobody thinks very much.
                            Diplomacy is the art of letting others have your way.

Comment

if you're talking Civ3 vanilla, then I might agree with you. But Conquests fixed most of my problems with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                                MUST HAVE

hi ,

, but XP's would be nice every year or so , ....

or to put a couple games and scen's inside that can only be reached after playing all civs on the hardest level or so , ....

have a nice day
                                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                                X