This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skywalker

As an option, maybe. Giving railroad unlimited movement (at least as an option in the editor) is good for scenarios
    Okay... I think the big thing is REMOVE THE HARDCODE!

I'm very strongly against infinite movement of any kind in the standard epic game. If some scenario designers can use it, then I'll not try to deny them that.

Comment

• Regarding "hidden nationality" doubling as the sort of skirmishes we're talking about.

Nah... Not the same thing. To begin with, hidden nationality is kind of silly.

Admiral: "Captain, you said you were attacked by French speaking ships off the coast of France. Where were they from?"
      Capt: "Well... they weren't flying a flag, so we couldn't tell."

Okay, I know. Extreme. But hidden nationality units represent, to me, non military and "unofficial" units. Privateers certainly fit into this category. If spies come back, they should too.

To have small border skirmishes that can escalate into full blown wars though... that'd be cool. It's a new diplomatic wrinkle, requires little in resources, is easy to understand, and won't hurt anything. To me, it's a no-brainer.

skywalker, I agree that the "zone of supply" doesn't quite cut it. I wouldn't mind seeing supply enter in somehow... but that isn't it.

I think he meant that Nationalism would increase chances of revolts, not that they wouldn't be allowed beforehand. That's okay with me, but it isn't a huge deal IMO.

Comment

• Why not just have scenario maps be a section of a sphere's surface? You'll get more accurate maps, and they'll certainly feel flat.

What if I want to create, for example, a space scenario, though? I don't want any curvature there or a discworld scenario

Regarding 2d wraparound? Why? What advantages do you feel that this brings to any map that aren't trumped by spherical ones?

A small world, for example. You may not want the severe curvature that it would have, but you do want wraparound. Plus, I just feel more comfortable with a 2D map.

Comment

• Regarding "hidden nationality" doubling as the sort of skirmishes we're talking about.
          Nah... Not the same thing. To begin with, hidden nationality is kind of silly.
          Admiral: "Captain, you said you were attacked by French speaking ships off the coast of France. Where were they from?"
          Capt: "Well... they weren't flying a flag, so we couldn't tell."
          Okay, I know. Extreme. But hidden nationality units represent, to me, non military and "unofficial" units. Privateers certainly fit into this category. If spies come back, they should too.

Here's a reason: diplomatic incidents. If the admiral attacked France without "proof" of France's guilt, France could just say "they're the aggressors!" Plus, repeated attacks by Hidden Nationality units actually do decrease the AI's whatchacallit (it isn't reputation, it's the gracious-polite-etc thing) of you. Enough, and they'll go to war.

Comment

• Originally posted by skywalker

What if I want to create, for example, a space scenario, though? I don't want any curvature there or a discworld scenario
            Oh, come now! Don't you know that space is curved!

Seriously, I get what you mean. I'd rather see, though, the game designed to be the best Civlization game possible, not the best vehicle for space mods.
            But you could always have a section of an ENORMOUS sphere for your discworld!

A small world, for example. You may not want the severe curvature that it would have, but you do want wraparound. Plus, I just feel more comfortable with a 2D map.
            True about the severe curvature. I'd like to see the smallest maps be closer in scale to standard of Civ 3 though, which I feel fits well with the sphereical world's possiblities.

The tiniest maps are something I'm willing to see sacrificed for a great spherical map! I feel its advantages outweigh its drawbacks signifigantly.

And regarding the comfort level of 2d maps... it's time to move on! Break your comfort boundaries!

Comment

• [SIZE=1] Originally posted by skywalker
              Plus, repeated attacks by Hidden Nationality units actually do decrease the AI's whatchacallit (it isn't reputation, it's the gracious-polite-etc thing) of you. Enough, and they'll go to war.
              So you're saying I should mod the game so all units have hidden nationality now? That would suck and be like hitting a flat with a sledgehammer.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• [Q] Originally posted by skywalker
                [SIZE=1] Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                Nationalism
                Unassimilated citizens shouldn't become unruly until the nationalism advance. At that point, assimilation ceases. Increase possibility of cities rejoining original civ or revolting and brings dead civs back to life.

No way. Revolts happened all the time before Nationalism. Look at the Romans in Israel.

Nationalist revolts in the ancient and medieval eras were quite rare. Most folks didn't care what language the rulers spoke as long as the taxes weren't high and they left local tradiations and religions alone.

Minor Combat
                Not all combat should immediately result in war. You should be able to attack units in your own civ without automatically starting a war.

It's called "hidden nationality".

Not a viable option for what I'm talknig about.

Abstract navy
                Make the navy more like air units now. Base them and send them on missions and give them ranges.

NO!

This is WAY too abstract, and it's bad for scenarios.

The current way the navies are used is ridiculous.

Revolutions
                Don't make revolution an option. It's something that happens to you, and it's bad.

When in revolution, you can be attacked without a declaration of war. Neighbors could take cities.

Your cities can revolt and start new civs.

Maybe you have to pick a side in the revolution and make sure it wins. Your neighbers might declare war on your side or on the other side.

A bit harsh.

Revolutions are harsh.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• My Civ4 would have a space layer, and have a tile stand for one square kilometer. However, it would solve the memory storage problem by storing terrain as a huge 3D model. Anyway, the Civ4 I'd like to see would have cities that would spread over time to cover multiple tiles. In addition, I would like hexes instead of tiles. Also, an Alpha Centauri style terrain system woud be very nice.
                  Now just don't go forming any angry mobs now, you hear?

Comment

• Also, add a tactical component: whenever two units or groups of units clash, you can either resolve it automatically, or go into Battle View (AoE like) and direct your units in combat personally.
                    Now just don't go forming any angry mobs now, you hear?

Comment

• I really liked the ability in Civ3 to change production and the like from the main map

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• you mean change what each city making>?> right clicking each city does that... that simple enough......
                        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• yes

civ3 had it

civ2 had it

I Am asking for a return

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• or jut askign for a +1
                            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• Hmmm - this will require some thought. I like the early comments about the combat system from CtP.

But I think the first thing I would ask for is that Asmodean's avatar be one of the leader heads.
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• And Skanky Burns' and Dissident's

Comment

Working...
                                X