Progressive implementation of features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive implementation of features

When I read threads here about the many features a Civ game could flaunt, I think there is a very important point that is often missed. Indeed, if the very many features we wish were one day implemented, the game would be way too complex from the beginning of the game, and would be completely confusing for the newbie.

I believe these features should not be usable flat out from the beginning, but rather they should be progressively unlocked in game.

Civ3 does this to some extent, though most features are unlocked in early game:
    Dealing with the trade network; trading maps; establishing embassies and having diplomatic agreements; opening international trade... all of these actions require you to be somehow developed before executing them.

And I think it is a good thing for two reasons:
    1: the game doesn't start out too complex, and the concepts can still be grasped by the newbie.
    2: This actually makes the in-game more interesting, because new techs won't only mean you'll have more (population, production, unit strength), but they'll also mean you'll get your way of playing to evolve. I think this can be very exciting for the player to unlock features, and it can make the game much more dynamic than it is today. I suppose I'm not the only Civ3 player who just loves Nationalism because it unlocks all remaining diplomatic possible agreements. And I suppose many SMAC players love the fact that victory styles are opened through tech.

IMHO, a thread describing a feature idea should not only describe the feature, but should also tell when we feel the feature should enter into action
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Unlocking options is cool

It is a big part of the one more turn thingy, methinks. Main "unlocker" is the tech tree, but I also like other ways that have been devised, like when you need five cities to build a wonder.

Comment

Working...
    X