CIV4 discussion points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV4 discussion points

critique my ideas, and add your own ideas.
    some of mine might seem complicated at first, though i think it would boil down simply if it were to be implemented.

1. RESOURCES, INDUSTRY, AND TRADING SYSTEM

a. Have within any the city radius residences, industries, and commerce appear on the map like they do in Railroad Tycoon, so that factories, farms, housing, and city improvements are shown directly on the world map.
    b. Have industries form on their own related to the geography, so that in grasslands farms form, in wooden areas, lumbering industries form over time. What industries grow not only depends on the geography but on the number of trade units per that city, so trade units work like the commercial alternative to shields. ie, light industry requires 10 commerce, heavy industry 20, etc.
    c. The development of certain commodities require other commodities, like in Colonization. But to make this simple, the amount of a certain commodity produced is shown on the map next to the building, so say a silk factory has three silks shown next to it. When roads between cities are connected so that all the required resources are gained for the production of another commodity, then that industry starts cropping up. This all happens by itself, without input from the player.
    d. What the player can do is build the infrastructure of roads, and also build city improvements that increase the amount of commerce generated, like marketplaces and banks.
    e. Have the ability for enemy units to fortify on roads and block the flow of commerce and commodities (much like a naval blockade), have the ability to fortify on industries to shut them down entirely (or pillage them depending on the players wishes). Fortifying on roads should allow a chance of piracy per turn where the resources and commerce are deverted to the enemy civilization.

2. POOL OF FOOD, RESOURCES, AND SHIELDS

a. All cities connected with roads should have access to half the food, resources, and shields that are extra and available from all surrounding cities. This creates a tier system: say one city is surrounded by two, and has twelve extra food, each of those gets six extra food, and the original city six extra. Then say, each of those cities is surrounded by two, so each of those gets three extra food, ad the two original cities only three extra themselves. If I'm right, this works out in a way where distance factors in.
    b. All cities connected with railroads should have access to all the food, resources, and shields. No tier system in place, this divides everything evenly between railroad connected cities.
    c. Extra of course, means shields, food, and resources, not in use by the other cities, so any city can usurp priority of them if needed. So this doesnt mean that the original city that is producing is stuck with the low number equal division through railroad, any of the cities can usurp the extra shields if needed.

3. TRAITS CONNECTED TO PLAYER ACTIONS THROUGH SELECTIVE ADVANCE

a. Technology could be dependent on a queue of certain game factors. So, for instance, Mysticism gained when enough incense is gathered, Feudalism gained when a certain number of horsemen units are created, or city walls, etc.
    b. This would tie the development of the culture of each civilization both to geographic starting locations (hey, its Marx's theory of production), and to player actions during the course of the game. So a civilization which focused on building/gathering that lead to military techs would develop militarily, etc.
    c. Or, Alternatively, the civilization would gain its traits (expansionist, militaristic, etc) through in game actions like this. So if you meet a certain amount of production, you get a bonus; if you win a lot of battles, you get a battle bonus, etc. What traits a civilization has at the moment would be available on the diplomacy screen.

4. REVOLTS, CORRUPTION, AND CULTURAL COHESION

a. The corruption should depend on cultural influence by that city and surrounding cities, not specific improvements like Forbidden Palaces. So if a small city is under the cultural influence of a culturally powerful city like the capitol, it would have low corruption. The further cities would be away from the capital, the more corruption they would have, unless under the cultural influence of another high culture city. Under this design, the player can beeline culture and maintain order throughout the whole of his nation.
    b. Have city revolts lead to the possibility of them joining a new, independent civilization, formed from the civilizations left out of the existing game; instead of only the option of joining an existing civilization. This will make the game more realistic.
    c. When a cultural flip is about to occur , and there are garrisoned units, there is either a Massacre (death of population), or Revolt (damaging of garissoned units) rather than a straight away flip

I tryed that the first time I posted on Apolyton... all my ideas about different things in one post. Big mess because there's too much posts about too much different subjects, and not inviting to answer since it's obliging the reader to read the whole text to answer perhaps ONE thing he'll be interested in.

If you post something, I propose you post only ONE general subject in a post.

Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Trifna what do you think of my ideas

Comment

brian, I wont discuss every single point separately, but what I'm saying is that it leads absolutely no where to discuss of things without any organization.

There are lots of ideas, some that could be discussed in there own thread. There are some I agree with, about a more coherent infrastructure system, some I disagree with like seing each building built on the map.

PS: You have to understand that you write this in a community that already discussed about every single issue many times. The List was done before Civ 3 and it has hundred of pages of organized ideas for developers.
        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

there's a more successful thread about it in civ3.

Comment

b. All cities connected with railroads should have access to all the food, resources, and shields. No tier system in place, this divides everything evenly between railroad connected cities.

This is not a bad idea. Already resources are shared through road connection. Only problem possibly is that human player would complete every wonder before AI.

Comment

Working...
            X