Rotating the map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating the map

well, i've played games like simcity/ceaser etc where buildings would often get in the way of other things, and rotating the map was necessary to maximize viewability. my question is, do you mind doing that? do you think a civ-like game should have such an option?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Such an option would only be necessary if units/buildings routinely get bigger than the tiles and block the view of other tiles. It is also only useful if rotating the map does not rotate the icons. Under those conditions, a rotate map feature would be useful. I consider the blocked tiles problem to be a case of bad game design encouraged by a foolish attraction to unneeded 3-D graphics. With that said, a game that needs a rotate map feature would be better off if the graphics were changed.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

Rotating the map might also be a good idea if the map itself were 3d and spherical, because no one would be able to see the opposite side of the map without rotating it accordingly.
      Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
      +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
      http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTraveler
        Rotating the map might also be a good idea if the map itself were 3d and spherical, because no one would be able to see the opposite side of the map without rotating it accordingly.
        thats what i was going for. if you find my ideas on 3d terrain, you could easily have high ridges plummeting to sea level, and you wouldn't be able to see anything behind it.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
        X