A new take on science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new take on science

Well, this is just the sicnece part of my own fantasy cvi4 model, which would be a radical redesign.

In civ games up to know you are as a God, creating and moving the broad strokes of hisotry as your civ grows. While that is fun, I think going in a bit more would be more chalenging (abnd for me, fun). I would like civ to be mroe about the statesmanship of gvernance, not some Godlike rule form above.

Now, how does this apply to tech? While chosing which tech is next (and thus planning far haead of time your road to victory), I think blind research is better. Both SMAC and MOO1 had good blind reserach options (specially MOO1). IN MOO1, what techs you got were the result of how you invested resoruces, or, what your policy was. This is the sort of thing I want from the next civ. So, how would it work? and what changes wou;ld be in store?

1. Tech progress (the amount of 'reserach points" accumulated) would be figured out by a set of algoriths, each taking into account a few important variables of your civ:

a. Economic structure: what type of economy does your civ have? Is is a stratefied and static one? (agrarian, nomadic?) or is it a commercial or industrial one? The more trade and profit motive in an economy, the more impetus to innovate.

b. Population and skills: More people, more ideas, first of all. Second, certain activities and skills lead to more innovation. The more you invest to educate your people, the more likely new ideas would come up.

c. Social structure: Much like with economics, the more rigid your society is the less innovation you get and vice versa.

d. Contact with others:simply by being in contact and trading with other peoples you (and them as well) gain the ability to share ideas, and thus advance faster.

So, general advancement in tech is the outcome of creating a more open, cosmopolitan, free thinkin society (which certainly has some costs as well, costs that would have to seriously be addressed. This means that sometimes, unlike in previous civ games, more tech advancements at a certain time may NOT be what is called for)

Now the big change in the tech tree itself would be the creation of two different tech types: The "Big Ideas" and "The Details". BI's are "tech" that are more about way of doing something and ways of thinking. For example, Writing, Agriculture, Animal Domestication, Architecture: these would be some of the key early BI's, new notions that open up a whole set of possibilities. Under each BI then come the Details. Now that you have a notion about, lets say, the idea of writing, well, ho9w do you do it? Under the BI of "Writing" then, comes TD of "paper"."alphabet", and latter on "printing" and so forth.

So, what is the point of this division? The point is two fold, and it goes back to dealing with how we advance in tech.

One of the things civ players love to do is build huge tech leads: but as we see, one of the most important ways to tech advancement is to trade and share ideas with others, thus greatly increasing the chances that your techs will end up in thier hands. How can you build a tech lead thus? Well, in this system, all techs have a chance of being transmitted, but the two differen types do transmit at very different rates. The big ideas travel fast: once one civ finds writing, very quikly everyone else will have it too. But the details of how to do it: that traves slowly. You can still take advantage of a tech lead, but rarely in the BI catgory, mainly in the details one. Now,another distinction made is whehter your civ is good at BI or TD. Now, vibrant economies are good at tech advancement, but as such, thyey are very good not at BI, but at ever improving the details of a tech. An open society on the other hand is better at BI than the details. It becomes possiblie then to be a huge producer of BI and still fail to ever develop them quickly enough for a lead, or you can try to build your success on the ever increasing efficency of one idea, while being bad at making new ones.

By allowing such diverse paths, more varied strategies could be attempted by the player, and historical realities could be better modelled fr scenerio making.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

You have a lot of good ideas.

I'd like to see techs be more dependant on player strategies. For example, if I build lots of ships, I should advance faster in naval techs, if I build lots of banks, I should advance faster in economic techs etc...

Also, techs should be more dependant on game situation. Instead of researching "iron working", which reveals iron on the map, it should be the other way around: the player finds iron on the map, which then allows the player to research "iron working". The logic is that you find a new metal, which leads you to investigate how to use it.
    Similarly, sea tiles and river tiles should be prerequesites to learning naval techs. The logic is simple: there has to be large amounts of water to make you think of building boats.

The idea would basically be to make terrain, ressources, or player actions as prerequesites for researching early techs. This would make tech research more logical.

I'd also like to see tech paths be more flexible. There should be multiple ways of reaching the same end techs. The player should not be forced to basically research every tech.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

[sry, double-post]
      Last edited by Trifna; June 10, 2003, 16:52.
      Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Wouhou!

Really, I believe this is a structure for the amelioration of Civ. It's not about a whole bunch of ideas, but really of a main structure that is different, a different ideology. I believe that we could build a whole Civ game from this ideology.... mmmmm...

So I suggest we continue developing a model on this path...
        Last edited by Trifna; June 10, 2003, 13:10.

Comment

I thaught to it a little and I just saw that politics are not made of a bar you push left or right but of a multitude of decisions of all kind. Perhaps a part of the orientation could be done this way, a little like Galactic Civilizations' events, but simply adapted to Civ and put in a way that's coherent to politics. Over that of course certain things are linked to normal decisions and not special events, which makes a system a bit like SMAC perhaps.

Comment

i have argued for a long time about the dependence oof social structure, governments, traits, and science on the terrain / many other factors, but it is very "un-civ". you wont likely find it in civ4, but you could pitch it to other strategy game places
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Not so sure it's "un-civ". This looks as "un-American". Dogmatism isn't good: if something's better, than make it civ/American/Russian/etc. You make USA/Civ/etc whattever you want and it'll be what you want. It's not static, except for those who like statu quo. There is not such thing, there is only better and worst. I understand the "it's hard to change a classic" though, but this is not the same argument. I believe a classic can get even better, which means that the better/worst perspective applies over "un-***", except perhaps slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Trifna
                Not so sure it's "un-civ". This looks as "un-American". Dogmatism isn't good: if something's better, than make it civ/American/Russian/etc. You make USA/Civ/etc whattever you want and it'll be what you want. It's not static, except for those who like statu quo. There is not such thing, there is only better and worst. I understand the "it's hard to change a classic" though, but this is not the same argument. I believe a classic can get even better, which means that the better/worst perspective applies over "un-***", except perhaps slower.
                i see your point, but you have to think of the game developers. Firaxis took out social engineering because it was, as they said, "too un-civ". it's their terminology. they have roots with a classic and want to stay true to most of it.

i'm not saying it's a bad idea, indeed i defend it, but i'm just saying people have convictions that may ot allow it in a civ game.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I would like the idea of having a couple (3-12) of research categories, where social engineering, nation traits, certain improvements and wonders, and other things will increase or decrease certain types of technology, but not necessarily affect all technology types. For example, a hospital could help speed up the research in biological sciences by a lot, but have little or no effect on, say, military technology. However, I don't know what having 5 or so different research ratings would do to gameplay.
                  Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
                  +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
                  http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

Re: A new take on science

Originally posted by GePap
                    Well, this is just the sicnece part of my own fantasy cvi4 model, which would be a radical redesign.
                    Hi GePap:

Your fantasy is very close to the Clash of Civs tech model. We have all the sub-ticks of your item 1 either implemented or planned. You can see a writeup of the model on the web page in my sig. You can also play around with the ~50% implemented model in our latest demo. I'd like to hear what you think about our approach.

I like your "big ideas" bit, I think that kind of approach is very valuable. The Clash tech model has some of that already, but not as strongly as you probably have in mind.

Regards,

Mark
                    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

About the un-civ thing, then if it's really like that at Firaxis, perhaps it's time to throw in a new type of "Civ" with name that's a bit different...

Comment

Working...
                      X