Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Frontier Project

(reposted from CFC)

As you may or may not know, the Final Frontier mod isn't exactly easy to make mod-mods of (and also isn't the fastest mod around, either). This is because a lot of stuff is handled by python. What I want to do is move most-all of this python stuff into the SDK with new XML tags/files to improve the speed of the mod as well as improve moddability. Unfortunatly, I don't know enough about the SDK to do this (even though my Star Trek mod includes SDK changes, these all include merging in other mods and minor changes). I'm hoping to get at least one SDK modder to help with this. I plan to do this in stages.

Stage 1: Move everything with Solar Systems over to the SDK (this is the largest part of the project)

Stage 2: Move the starbase stuff over to the SDK

Stage 3: Move the rest of the Final Frontier python to the SDK (traits, civics, etc.)

Stage 4: Enhancements (such as making it possible to edit solar systems via worldbuilder)

So... anyone interested in helping with this?

I'm not a C++ guy, but you might find this interesting or useful:

http://shed-skin.blogspot.com/

It's an optimising Python-to-C++ compiler that's usable but in an early phase of development. Basically, it handles most Python code pretty well, provided you're not trying to do too much magic.

Comment

Well, I think Final Frontier's python does a lot of magic. That, and I want to not just do a simple port; I also want to change it to remove the hard-coded stuff (civics, buildings, unit sounds, the types of stars/planets). Final Frontier is currently the 2nd least moddable official scenario in BtS after Afterworld. Thanks anyways, though.

Comment

Working...
      X