unit movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unit movement

How do I change number of movement spaces a unit can go.
    I found the xml file changed it and got errors just starting up Civ4
    been trying to locate and answer on the boards,

I haven't tried doing it this way myself, but I'm going to assume--dangerous, I know--that you are modding the original CIV4UnitInfos.xml file since you say you crash simply starting the game. Don't do that. You need to make and load a mod, and incidentally, this mod will not be compatible with any old save games. You have to start a new game, or Civ4 will crash like you describe.

For simplicity's sake, let's say you have Civ4 installed at C:\games\Civ4. There, you will see a Mods directory.
    [list=1][*]Create a new directory in the mod directory:

C:\games\Civ4\Mods\MyMod
    [*]Now into that directory copy over the file keeping the same directory structure:

.\MyMod\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml
    [*]Now modify that file to your heart's content.[/list=1]

You can select the mod in-game via the "Advanced/Load Mod" option, or you can just create a new shortcut to the Civilization4.exe executable and modify the command-line as follows:

C:\games\Civ4\Civilization4.exe mod=/Mods/MyMod
    The above applies to the expansion(s), too, I'm pretty sure, only you just need to change the game path accordingly.

-----------

If you already did it like I describe above, then my only other guess is that you corrupted the CIV4UnitInfos.xml file somehow, either with incorrect or deleted data or your editor saved it in the wrong format. It's just a plain DOS ASCII text file. Maybe your editor saved it in UNIX format (i.e., stripped off the carriage return characters '\0xD') or worse, saved it in UNICODE format.

I know the above steps work because what you are trying to do is exactly the very first mod I ever made just a couple of days ago. Just change the "< iMoves >< /iMoves >" tag (spaces are only there to keep forum software from parsing it) for the unit to whatever. I changed it to < iMoves >20< /iMoves > for my cloned worker. It worked as expected.

Comment

Thanks I'll try this out.

Comment

Working...
      X