Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [BTS] my mod crashes when I build a city

Greetings for the Burbankian Empire!

I am just tinkering with some units in BtS_3.13. Here's my issue, when I attempt to build my first city, the game CTD with a "send error report".

This does not happen in any of the other BtS Mods, nor does it happen when playing BtS.

Obviously, the problem is in my mod but I am unable to figure out the problem. This is a small portion of a larger mod. I wanted to get the new units in place and operational before I attempted to add new technologies, buildings or modify game play.

The changes all involve variant worker units:

1. Captured Workers-slaves are less effective than regular workers
    2. Freemen-Captured Workers after Democracy
    3. Laborers-an upgraded worker unit
    4. Builders-an upgraded laborer unit
    5. Steam Shovel-an upgraded builder unit

My files are available through this link to Hoonak's mod for your inspection, but HAVE NOT been added to the database.

I am probably making a very simple error, but I missed it because Iam very busy being...

Hoonak, King of Burbank
    link to Hoonak's mod
    Last edited by hoonak; January 17, 2008, 10:48.
    "we more often need to be reminded than informed"

Broken link:

Shouldn't have the ... inside.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

my bad.

fixed.

Hoonak

Comment

What changes specifically did you make? My guess, without having access to the files at the moment (at work), would be that you probably changed something without changing something it's linked to ... the unit art reference, for example.

If you place through worldbuilder your units, does it crash then?
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say you changed something without changing the dependancies.

Check artwork especially. I'd say it might be something with units or buildings. Maybe the artwork for your new workers isn't linked correctly.

Check by placing them in world builder, and viewing the unit in civolopedia.

Comment

Greetings,
            I am not very good at building new units. I can come up with the concept and determine what I want the units to do and when I want them to do it. But I have neither the skills nor the software to make decent unit graphics.

I went looking through the "unitinfos.xml" file to make changes to the worker units and saw about 486 different kinds of workers! I had a vision! I would just use those workers! It would be great. All I'd have to do is edit a few tags and I'd be all set.

FAIL! Those units are used by various and sundry tribes as part of the "flavor" concept. I would have realized this if I had read the documentation, but I am not much for reading (I buy Playboy for the pictures!).

I had to go back to the drawing board. My mod works, but my graphics do strange stuff. I have five variants of the "worker" unit. I re-skinned the default worker/modern worker. When the units are active, the animations work fine, but when the units are dormant, they revert to the original animation.

I will be uploading the file in just a moment.

Comment

Working...
            X