custom map size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom map size

I see that the map sizes for huge are actually small compared to ciiv3 or ctp2. I know this is because of 3D. So I'm hoping for two things:

1) how to add additional sizes (gigantic, colossal, whatever) I prefer a 200x200 size earth for instance

2) anyone familiar with the limits based on computer power. I have 2GB Ram core duo 2.13GHz. How big of a map can my system take (its going fast on the biggest size now in the 1800s)

thx
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

I tried to triple the size to 96x60 (standard map ratio is 1:.62), but it couldn't load it on a 3Ghz Pentium D with 1GB of RAM.

Scaled it back to 64x40 and it was able to load, but the map was always in "permanent midnight", this may be due to me using the onboard graphics card though.

Sacled it back further to 48x30 and it works. Loads with the midnight effect only 33% of the time, but again I think it's a graphics card issue.

I picked up another gig of RAM this evening, so I'll see how that works. Also a new graphics card is in my future.

Debating ATI All-in-Wonder, ATI Radeon X1650 PRO Video Card, or NVidia eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card. Longevity is the concern and ability to display on a hi-def TV.

Comment

Re: custom map size

Originally posted by E
      I see that the map sizes for huge are actually small compared to ciiv3 or ctp2. I know this is because of 3D. So I'm hoping for two things:

1) how to add additional sizes (gigantic, colossal, whatever) I prefer a 200x200 size earth for instance

2) anyone familiar with the limits based on computer power. I have 2GB Ram core duo 2.13GHz. How big of a map can my system take (its going fast on the biggest size now in the 1800s)

thx
      The Smartmap script allows you to set custom map sizes. I have 2GB RAM running on a 3Ghz CPU. If I try to create a 180x180 map, I get a memory allocation error at startup. I can start a game with a 140x140 map, but haven't played long enough to know whether or not it will continue to work into the late game.

HTH

Petek
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Nice. I was concerned there might be a program limitation. Good to see larger (100+) map sizes are possible. The 64x40 looked like a great place for a game.

Long-term limitation may be the Max Units permitted, one probably has to keep an eye on this figure. Maybe bump the units, but limit the civs?

Thanks for the utility tip. I'm a DIY type though, you learn more that way.

Comment

Upgraded to 2GB RAM. The game runs faster, but can't boot any larger map sizes. The limiting factor seems to be VRAM. For bigger maps, one needs a more powerful G-card.

Comment

Working...
          X