Slow Time, Fast Fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Time, Fast Fashion

Does anyone know why it would be that if you create a slower game speed (say beyond Marathon) cultural borders & growth would go wacko?

I created a slower time 400% to Marathon's 300%, but when I use it, my cultural borders expand to the max and I get several messages saying "an unknown civ has acheived legendary culture" on the first turn!

What's wrong? iCulturePercent is 400% as well (Marathon is 300%)

I'd like to know how you slowed the game down.
    Marathon is good in terms of unit and building build rates, but I want research to go 20x slower and at most only 1 year passing per turn. 1 month would be better.

Comment

Just figured this out. Of course, there's a NOTE about it at the top of the XML file I should have read.

it says, "NOTE: If you remove any of these you need to update GameInfo/CultureLevelInfos.xml. "

This also means if you add another game speed, you need to go to the GameInfo/CultureLevelInfos.xml in the root Civ4 Assets folder (even if you're playing/modding BTS) and tell civ4 what amount of culture points are required for each cultural level. Otherwise it assumes that 0 culture for your new speed equals legendary culture.

Fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by shinyhalo
        I'd like to know how you slowed the game down.
        Marathon is good in terms of unit and building build rates, but I want research to go 20x slower and at most only 1 year passing per turn. 1 month would be better.
        I just created another game speed, which I called "The Ages".

To have research go 20x slower (remember of course, you will run out of buildings to build unless you also make it take forever to build them) just remember the numbers in the game speed file are percent. So if the base speed is 100%, just create a new speed and set the tech rate to 2000%.

Time in BTS is done in "MonthIncrement", so 120 is ten years, 12 is a year, and 1 is one month. Then set the number of turns you want to spend at that increment. If you want the whole game to move 1 month at a time, just set it to 1 MonthIncrement for 1500 turns (or whatever you want).

Hope that helps ... and hope you're making a scenario. 1 month turns for 4,500 years and you may still be playing the same game when you reach retirement!

Comment

epic games
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Live your Civ!

Or so my tattoo will say.

Comment

BTW (for those curious): If you change the time values in the xml for the new gamespeed you created and load a game that you started with the previous values, after 1 turn Civ4 just updates the calendar. It doesn't cause a game crash. However, it does change the ordering of your save games, at least until you catch up in years to where you were before.

Comment

Working...
              X