Map Assistance Urgently Sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gatekeeper.

If you still need your map cropped, I wrote a Python utility which I can use to chop off parts of maps. If you provide me with your file I can run the utility on it and give you back a version without the Southern Hemisphere.

Comment

*grumbles* Still don't know why you'd want to get rid of the southern hemisphere.

It's where the best country in the world is you know!

Comment

Maybe that's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
          Hi Gatekeeper.

If you still need your map cropped, I wrote a Python utility which I can use to chop off parts of maps. If you provide me with your file I can run the utility on it and give you back a version without the Southern Hemisphere.
          I would sure appreciate it if you could. Thanks, Trip!

Gatekeeper
          Attached Files
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
            *grumbles* Still don't know why you'd want to get rid of the southern hemisphere.

It's where the best country in the world is you know!
            I have nothing against the Southern Hemisphere, really.

The map is gigantic, though, and it strains my machine to open it, let alone play a game until the modern era. It was made by a 'Poly modder who hails from Carbondale, Ill., and it's very, very good. Just HUGE!

Gatekeeper (who wishes he could remember the modder's name, 'cause the guy deserves a hearty pat on the back for that good map of his)
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Just giving this a bump ...

Comment

Sorry about the delay, I had subscribed to this thread but for some reason it didn't show up that you had replied so I didn't know you ever responded.

Try out this file.
                Attached Files

Comment

Trip:

I downloaded the file and, insofar as I can tell, everything seems to work properly.

I like how your map utility stripped out the Southern Hemisphere. Heh. Now if only they'd come out with something like that for the Macintosh — and, of course, it's possible it is out there, and I simply haven't found it yet.

The map will require some terrain editing and nation placement on my part to make it "perfect" but, by golly, I wouldn't be anywhere close to this point if it hadn't been for you and others like you, Trip.

Thanks for the assist. May I make a small suggestion? Perhaps this map could be added to 'Poly's download section for Civ IV? I bet it'd be popular. I'm not sure how to credit it, though. There must be a way to remember who the original creator was (his avatar was of Caesar, and he hailed from Carbondale, Ill., I believe), give him credit, and then you as well, Trip, for the "Northern Hemisphere" aspect.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                    Trip:

I downloaded the file and, insofar as I can tell, everything seems to work properly.

I like how your map utility stripped out the Southern Hemisphere. Heh. Now if only they'd come out with something like that for the Macintosh ? and, of course, it's possible it is out there, and I simply haven't found it yet.
                    I'm sorry I didn't get there in time. In my enthusiasm for adding it to WP I just didn't get it there.

And WP isn't gonna help you much anyway.

Thanks for the assist. May I make a small suggestion? Perhaps this map could be added to 'Poly's download section for Civ IV? I bet it'd be popular. I'm not sure how to credit it, though. There must be a way to remember who the original creator was (his avatar was of Caesar, and he hailed from Carbondale, Ill., I believe), give him credit, and then you as well, Trip, for the "Northern Hemisphere" aspect.

Gatekeeper
                    That sounds like "Sir Ralph". Look him up, see if that's him.

Tom P.

Comment

Tom P.:

I can definitely say it's *not* Sir Ralph. I'd know the name if I saw it. Hmm. I'm going to see if I can't search for posts six months or so in the past. His handle will definitely be in that batch of posts ...

Gatekeeper

Comment

I found him! If you don't know him already, the great creator of the gigantic Earth map that slows down even some of the best computers because of its size and detail is none other than ...

**drum roll**

... FLASH! Registered in 1999, hails froms the Carbondale, Ill., area!

C'mon, Flash! Pop into this thread and take a bow. You and other map-makers like you deserve it and more.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Hmm. Well, obviously, Flash is a bit camera shy.

Comment

I've recently discovered a side benefit of moving into a larger home — it enables me to once again set up an old computer I had in storage ... and play Civ II on it while tinkering around with Civ IV on the newer computer!

YAH!

Gatekeeper

Comment

Working...
                            X