FORT outside of Culture-Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORT outside of Culture-Area

Has anybody an idea how to build Forts outside of the culture-area?

I tried to make it Routetype, because they are buildable outside culture. But then it substitutes the roads, what i don't want!

I'd be also cool if the fort generates a 1x1 culture Area. Thats the main idea.

You can close landbridges or can provide far away outposts, without enemy culture feeding this position and repell your units.
    Others will only able to pass if you have an open border agreement with them.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?
    Last edited by Thror78; August 22, 2006, 10:34.

Me like!

What an elegant way to do what I'd like to do, which is build colonies without being forced to build an expensive and non-productive city, just to harvest resources – or to defend a strategic location. (I really didn't like the Civ 3 colonies, either.)

A fort gives all defensive benefits of a walled city, and the cultural border would allow for resource harvesting.

The main problem would probably be ownership – whose cultural border should the fort have. Keep in mind that it's possible to stack units of different nationality on a single square...

One other problem comes to mind, namely how the culture radius of fort would interact with "normal" cultural borders. I for one think that the "city radius" of forts should overwrite other cultural borders. Then it would be possible to defend your national borders militarily (at the cost of other terrain improvements in those squares).

Would all this be too unbalanced? I would like to see such a mod, however... (More on my ideas for "colonies" at a later time.)

/Baldyr

Comment

NEW IDEA!:

Why not introduce a new city-type that doesn't grow and doesn't produce culture, nor anything else.
      But units gain a defence, air-borne units can be placed there and you have to pay for this outpost (like for any other city).

Any idea how to realize that?

Comment

Any idea how to realize that?
        Yeah:

Non-city colonies

/Baldyr

Comment

Working...
        X