[MOD] Operation Barbarossa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MOD] Operation Barbarossa

Ok, so after much procrastination I´m planning my first scenario. Inspired by the delightful scenario Desert War (and too many hours watching Discovery) I decided a scenario of the Battle on the Eastern Front was something I might pull off.

I have some questions though. Exactly how many troops are in one unit? For example Germany had 17 Panzer divisions, 13,5 Motorized divisions and 72.5 Infantry divisions. I want to get this as accurate as possible for authenticity.

Can you script events like the russian autumn making the roads muddy and difficult to travel on?

And most important of all is this a viable scenario idea?
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Re: [MOD] Operation Barbarossa

Originally posted by Zoid
    Ok, so after much procrastination I´m planning my first scenario. Inspired by the delightful scenario Desert War (and too many hours watching Discovery) I decided a scenario of the Battle on the Eastern Front was something I might pull off.

I have some questions though. Exactly how many troops are in one unit?
    As many or as few as you need Civ is not hard science, the units aren't supposed to represent a particular number of troops (at least not in the default game), use whatever's convenient. For Armor and Artillery 1:1 unit:division would seem to work, but for Infantry that's perhaps a bit much, especially considering Russia had similar troop sizes. Maybe 1 unit = 2 divisions would work better there. But you can use any absolutely any ratio(s) you want...

Can you script events like the russian autumn making the roads muddy and difficult to travel on?
    Yeah, sure, easiest way I suppose would be to define two versions of every affected terrain type, e.g. Hard Tundra and Muddy Turndra, and use Python to (gradually?) replace one by the the other and vice versa every x turns.

And most important of all is this a viable scenario idea?
    Any idea is viable if you believe in it
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Thanks, Locutus Now all I have to do is learn Python

Comment

Well, you can't do any Pyhon before you have a map I suggest you start with that, then do XML changes, then worry about Python You should have a nice playable scenario by then...

Comment

Yep, I´m working on the map right now.

Comment

Maybe you should take al ook at this if you want to know how it really unfolded.

Comment

Thanks, I already have that page bookmarked

Comment

Re: Re: [MOD] Operation Barbarossa

Originally posted by Locutus

quote:

Yeah, sure, easiest way I suppose would be to define two versions of every affected terrain type, e.g. Hard Tundra and Muddy Turndra, and use Python to (gradually?) replace one by the the other and vice versa every x turns.
                Probably even easier would be to cycle through all of the units and reduce their movement points to 0-1 (i.e. 50% of 0 movement points that turn and 50% chance of 1 movement point). If you wanted to make turns seasons then you could do that every 4 turns (iTurn % 4 == 0).

Roger Bacon

Comment

Re: Re: Re: [MOD] Operation Barbarossa

Originally posted by rogerbacon
                  Probably even easier would be to cycle through all of the units and reduce their movement points to 0-1 (i.e. 50% of 0 movement points that turn and 50% chance of 1 movement point). If you wanted to make turns seasons then you could do that every 4 turns (iTurn % 4 == 0).
                  Problem is that affects the whole map, Zoid may well only want to affect part of the map.

Comment

We´ll have to see if I´m going to script anything. I´m having a hard time just making the damn map...

Btw, how do you place cities on the map with the World Builder? Do you have to edit them in manually?

Comment

There's a Build City icon on the Buildings tab.

Comment

There is? I must´ve missed it...

Comment

Working...
                        X