Enhanced grid-button needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhanced grid-button needed

Then one click on the map grid-button on the main screen one gets the standard black grid that looks rather messy and ugly - and its also is less optimal for city-placement use. This could work better.

I would like to see a mod that replaces the grid-button with a "show city-areas" button instead. That is: no grid - only all excisting fat cross city-areas on the map outlined with thin black lines (with no grid within them).

This could optionally also affect the settler-unit by the way: free-roaming settlers carry this fat-cross outline with them, then this "show city-areas" option are enabled.

Is such mod available already, and if not: can anyone make and uppload it?

An alternative to above:

Keep the black map-grid but with fat cross city-areas converted to contrasting white colour (or optionally: to the indevidual civ-colour).

Comment

It's not likely anyone can make a mod for that. My understanding is that selecting the grid replaces the regular tiles with ones that have the grid lines on them. And since the basic graphic engine won't be moddable, it won't be possible to make any changes.

Comment

Darn.

I've wanted something like this as long as I've played Civ and long wondered why something this simple and obvious wasn't included.

Comment

I agree, it would be nice to have some indicator of city area. They used to have it in red in SMAC, I don't understand why it was never brought back.

Comment

Back in the day... waaaay back in the day of top down only Civ maps... I had a true flat crt monitor and made a plastic template from the translucent side of a 1/2 gallon milk jug, used a sharpie to draw the grid lines on my template.

When I wanted to place a city or plan city expansion I would just put my template on the monitor screen and the light would shine through enough to see the terrain below. Wouldn't it be nice if we could make a transparent template that would be draggable in game for the same purpose?

Ah well.
            "Too err is human... uhm, did I spell 'err' correctly?"

Comment

Re: Enhanced grid-button needed

Originally posted by Melker63
              Then one click on the map grid-button on the main screen one gets the standard black grid that looks rather messy and ugly - and its also is less optimal for city-placement use. This could work better.

I would like to see a mod that replaces the grid-button with a "show city-areas" button instead. That is: no grid - only all excisting fat cross city-areas on the map outlined with thin black lines (with no grid within them).

This could optionally also affect the settler-unit by the way: free-roaming settlers carry this fat-cross outline with them, then this "show city-areas" option are enabled.

Is such mod available already, and if not: can anyone make and uppload it?
              It should be possible to do so. Just some changes :
              - use a new button or a key combo instead of the grid button. I don't think its possible to catch the event when such a button is pressed, but I may fail
              - don't touch the grid at all, let it as it is. Use some plot highlights instead. The API supports some sort of plot highlighting, which may be used for this. Example : possilbe city tiles : 25% highlighted, used city tiles 50% highlighted.

Something like that should be possible and it also should not be that hard to implement.
              You just need someone to implement it. (don't ask me, I'm busy )
              Have a look on my mods :
              Modified Special Domestic Advisor 1.8b !!! UPDATE !!!
              Plot List Enhancement
              Restart interceptor animation after game load

Comment

Working...
              X