• Show
Clear All

Sorry, couldn't resist that post.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

i understand, that complex changes of rules can´t be done with a single editor. but they could at least deliver some interface to easily change values like civ names, alignment, diplomatic relations, starting tech, amount of gold etc. just easy things, that would take me several hours to change atm, for i have to find the file, the line and the command, understand the syntax and put it all together.
      i want an application that writes down all the changes into the corresponding files, create a foulder for my new mod and make it run without an error occuring, because i forgot a comma or whatsoever.

i want to mod the game, but i don´t want to study informatics.

btw, i wonder where you got your info from. is there an official statement about what the sdk will contain?

thanks
      War and courage have done more great things than charity. Not your sympathy, but your bravery hath hitherto saved the victims.

Comment

The contents of the SDK were known back in last May during the E3, and anyway, I'm a member of the Firaxis test-group, so I am bound to know a thing or two .

The XML modding really is easy, though . Even if you're not a student of computer science. Yes, an editor would be easier, but something like changing starting techs for a civ should still not take more than a couple of minutes now. And you can always ask here if you have specific XML file questions.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

yes, the game IS moddable already, but it´s still a whole lot of stuff i´d have to get used to. when i opened an xml-file for the first time, i got almost slain by its complexity and length, scrolled through it and closed it.
          i know it´s all in there, somewhere.
          but i have to become a doctor some day and no professional civ-modder, though i´d probably be more passionate in that profession.

anyway, thanks for info and potential modding help.
          War and courage have done more great things than charity. Not your sympathy, but your bravery hath hitherto saved the victims.

Comment

The length of XML files is huge, agreed. However, that's mostly because they repeat the same stuff over and over. Believe me, if you take about an hour once to look through the XML files, you'll become quite comfortable with them .
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
            X