Great Idea for a Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Idea for a Mod

Allow a player to edit the map IN GAME for money later in the game. Just like the panama cannal, the Hong Kong airport and the chunnel man has often altered the earth to suit humankind. I think later in the game, maybe after steam (steam shovel) or engineerig that players should be able to purchase a great work. There should be set prices like 10,000 for truning a coastal tile into grassland. maybe vary depending on the time and the difficulty. Removing a mountain may force you to change a coastal tile into plains. Digging a channal from the ocean to your land locked city would be usefull too. Is this possible?

I, for one, would LOVE a mod that allowed me to modify or even just build roads and mines on those "impassable" mountain peaks. What a load of hooey -- for thousands of years, when mankind finds an impassable obstacle, he searches the area until he finds the pass, or he labors mightily until he creates one. It would be totally realistic for the game to allow terraforming of mountains or ocean channels. And lest Sid Meier forget, he didn't have a problem with transoceanic train travel in Railroad Tycoon! (ok, so it's supposed to simulate regular ferry service, but still)
    Esquire

Comment

Not really.
      The game doesn't go that far into the future and with todays technology we haven't made anything of note on such mountains.

A canal as something buildable has been sorely needed for sometime though- maybe a city needs 2 different bodies of water within its radius then it can build a suez or panama canal wonder that links the two.

But how to do this...Really is something for Civ 5, it would require making rivers navigatable by 'small' ships (most things short of battleships and carriers) as they should be.
      Signatures are for people with free time

Comment

Actually, not in the slightest. It would require adding a worker action "build canal", which would take a billion turns, or so, and then modify the terrain it's currently on to be water. It probably requires making the worker able to pass on water (coast), though that's probably not a big deal in a SPG, just don't use it to explore coasts

What would be better, and I suppose i'm not sure how possible this is, is to add to Civ4TerrianInfos the tag, and then change in the python (assuming this is here) all of the Water=0 checks (for land units) to Land=1 checks. Then you could have a terrain that's both land and water... (Or even use water=2, if that's feasible, but i don't see that being any easier to implement)
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hmm, looks like python doesn't involve itself much in moving units, unless i'm reading it wrong So nevermind about the land=1 idea - but it should still be possible to change workers, shouldn't it? (Unless you can add two domains in though you'll probably have to set workers as domain=air ... never tried giving an air unit 0 air moves. Would that work?)

Otherwise i suppose you'd have to do a bit more work to do this, though it still doesn't seem like it should be impossible. Possibly having the worker improve the terrain next to it or some such (or having it be a one-shot use, that might be a lot easier, duh i'm dumb today...)

Comment

humm . . . put the worker on a galley

-or-

Add the action to a work boat.
            Early to rise, Early to bed.
            Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

But then a work boat can't go onto the cell needed to be improved

cannotSelectionListMove(self,argsList)

(in CvGameUtil) might be one way to work around it. Create a dummy improvement, and stick it in this... I'm not the most knowledgeable Python person, but this looks promising?

The other thing I was looking at were the options for improvements, but it doesn't look like changing terrain itself (or chaning terrain options, such as water/land) is technically possible through this route.

Comment

Actually, you could just use the style used in this mod ... he manages to use Python to convert land to water

Comment

with todays technology we haven't made anything of note on such mountains.
                  Actually I have to disagree here. The U.S., though awful for the environment has been doing mountain top removal for quite sometime in order to gain minerals inside said mountain. Also for hundreds of years at least man has built roads and rail for that matter through, alongside, and in between mountains, so I don't think its too unreasonable to expect a road and or rail to be able to go on mountain squares. All I'm saying is the road should just make it possible to pass over a mountain, not easy so just negate the movement bonus on road/rail so that you can only move 1 on it.
                  As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
                  atrocities.
                  - Voltaire

Comment

As per the canals:

Historically, canals have only been built on thin pieces of land, say the equivalent of 1 tile wide in civ4. If one were to just build a city on that one square, all ships (including destoyers, as in real life) would be able to pass through the canal. Presumably, Sid intended this to mean a canal, since how else could a fleet of ships pass through a city to the other side?

Comment

I guess the idea is to help make you civilization GREAT. I was playing on a continents map and was in the bottle neck of a long and snakey continent that stretched almost the length of the map. To fight wars people had to make an open border agreement with me so that they could go through one of my cities. That made me think about making a cannal. Then I was on an islands map and there were two places where I could have placed another city but I needed jut one more tile or i had another part of my island in accessable because of a mountain. I wanted to either build a tile in the ocean or dertroy the mountain. All of these things have been done in real life. I just wanted a way to do it, in a fair manner, in Civ. I think that would surely add another demention to the game. think of how some games could be altered by allowing a ship passage that would cut the travel time in half? Or connecting your main island to a smaller one. You would then be able to let the effects of the three gorges dam spread! It should only take a modification of the worker for making cannals and destroying mountains and a modification of the work boat for filling in a coast square with land! I have NO IDEA how to program or handle Python I just know that this would ROCK!

Comment

Can we nuke a mountain to chop the top off?
                        I don't know what I've been told!
                        Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                        Love to press the Buster Switch!
                        Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Originally posted by Josquius
                          Not really.
                          The game doesn't go that far into the future and with todays technology we haven't made anything of note on such mountains.
                          What about Switzerland? I consider it "of note"
                          Esquire

Comment

Originally posted by Josquius
                            Tibet is something of note, isn't it? Llasa is like 3000m+ over sea levels, and now there are roads and railroad going through Tibet.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

How about infantry can move one space through mountains every three turns, cavalry get the same, but only with roads, and the only way to move armor or artillery through is on rail, and they don't get to attack?

I know someone will invoke Hannibal to shoot down the part about the horses, but remember that he lost all but one of his elephants on that venture...
                              I don't know what I've been told!
                              Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                              Love to press the Buster Switch!
                              Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Working...
                              X