Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MOD] Extended Tech Tree

Extended Tech Tree Mod

This mod does far more, but the emphasis is on an extended tech tree in which many items that currently share a tech entry must be researched separately. This significantly increases the strategy involved in selecting techs to research, particularly early in the game.

Overall, you should find this a familiar, yet significantly varied mod to the traditional game. Watch out for the 3 food per population change: don't found your city in the middle of a bunch of one food tiles thinking you'll be fine!

I've attempted to rebalance the civics so that every civic is useful.

Every global wonder is converted to a per-civ wonder, but the costs are higher, so you have to decide when you want the particular effect.

Religions are currently all equal, and all foundable at the same point in the tech tree (with the goal being that the historical order doesn't have to be the same every game). In a future version I plan to make the religions more unique, and figure out how to help the AI found more easily.

If any of you serious civvers try this out, please let me know if anything is grossly unbalanced, and please explain why as I'm far from an expert strategic player.

I play primarily marathon/continents. If you try some other combo and it doesn't work well, I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Feedback very welcome. Please let me know what you like and dislike!

(Large Image)

Version 1: Initial release

Last edited by DougM; January 18, 2006, 12:46.
    Check out SmartMap: my ultra flexible map generator for civIV.
    http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=147547

Ill give this a try on normal speed at noble and let you know how it is. Thanks for making this I was hopeing someone would.

Comment

Screenshot of the tech tree and other info please :-).

Comment

Any new techs or just the old ones broken down into component parts?

Roger Bacon

Comment

there are a small number of new techs

There's a new unit, colonizer, which lets you carry armies over ocean earlier than galleon because I found that getting to galleon often took a long time even after allowing for enough turns to fight nice long wars with everyone on your starting continent.

There are a couple of other techs that give bonuses to food in different ways to compensate for the 3 food per population.

I will screenshot the tech tree as the other person requested and post that.

Comment

image of the tech tree

Originally posted by Zuul
            Screenshot of the tech tree and other info please :-).
            (Large Image)

What other info would you like to see?

Comment

can you release a version with -only- the extended tech tree since thats the name of the mod?
              ~I like eggs.~

Comment

not easily no

Originally posted by ghen
                can you release a version with -only- the extended tech tree since thats the name of the mod?
                A lot of the changes are interdependent, it would not be easy to extract just the tech changes, and the tech changes alter the flow of the game enough that it probably wouldn't play well.

Comment

Re: image of the tech tree

Originally posted by DougM

(Large Image)

What other info would you like to see?
                  Link no longer works.

Comment

Re: image of the tech tree

Originally posted by FireWalkWithMe
                    Link no longer works.
                    Works here.

Just from looking at the tree, it seems rather strange. Net fishing after Iron working? Develop banking, and then develop banks?

Comment

link not working

The link may have been unresponsive due to nightly virus scan on the web server (I'm hosting the files myself).

As to the specific techs:

Banking is the general principle. It enables mercantilism. 'Banks' is the actual understanding of what it takes to build a bank building: knowledge of vault design, etc, building on top of the general principle.

Net fishing requires compass: you have to know where you've left your nets, and be able to navigate to them in order to collect (we're not talking about net fishing from land, but rather from boats in the water).

In any case, my goal is always gameplay over realism. If realism is your thing, odds are good my mods are not going to be for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X