Clear All

• [Scenario] Spanish Reconquista

1050-1475AD: Fight for the reconquest of Spain from the Moors

Mini-map:

Installation:

Download file

And then unzip it into to the civ4 mod directory:

x:\civ4_path\Mods

then start civ4, go to advanced, select 'load mod', and load Reconquista.

Hmm, why did you choose this degree?
    Somehow, I prefer to have the upper side of the map to be North.

Comment

I really enjoyed this - good history, good map, nice redesign on the tech tree - but I think you're going to have to work on balancing.

The game didn't let me choose any difficulty level other than noble. In vanilla Civ I'm still working on Prince; here Noble was really easy. (This may be like "Europa Universalis" where if you want a different difficulty level you should just choose a different country. Things would certainly be harder if I chose France.)

Playing Leon, the results were pretty severely ahistorical. I start with 100 gold and a 15gpt defecit. I got the Great Merchant tech, and used that for a trade route ($900), and also used my two starting horsemen as a pair to waltz through most of Moorish Spain looting towns - with move 3, in one turn they could ride up and drop a town down to a hamlet, loot 30 gold or more, and ride off. Combined with some judicious selling of technologies to the other Christian principalities, I never needed to set my research rate below 100% until I was working on future techs - in 1125.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. As soon as I had a catapult or two I took Toledo (nice exception handling! the crusade against toledo had *just* been called, and your scripts realized that I'd already captured it and handled everything fine). That city I gave back to Castille, but I then took Cordoba, Malaga, and Cadiz for myself before offering peace to the enemy. (At that point most, if not all, of the other Christians had already concluded peace.)

Around 1130 I declared war again, and in 1177 I'd conquered all of southern Portugal - Seville, Lisbon, ... In 1183 I stormed Granada. At this point I had 40 musketmen and a dozen catapults; most of the muskets were scattered around healing and in garrisons, but I was ready to take the last two Muslim cities in Spain with a catapult stack and the four or five muskets that had kept up with them. All the major powers had gunpowder, but nobody was using it.

So, when I quit, I'd nearly finished the Reconquista two hundred years early, had two thousand gold in the bank with nothing to spend it on, and was making 200 gpt (while still keeping a 60% research rate that gave me another renaissance tech every 5-6 turns, meaning my cities still weren't having trouble with war weariness even though I was in peacetime high-productivity civics.) This despite not having gotten any iron until around 1180 - I hadn't built a single conquistador, just used the two I got from the crusades. (More nice exception handling - I'd already researched the tech, and that stack of units showed up the next turn and helped stiffen my push to Malaga.) All the Christian nations were Pleased or Friendly with me. My only weakness was my utter lack of a navy, but the fishing villages on the north coast had grown up to the point I could pump out a couple of galleys per turn.

Two apparent scripting errors: I got the message 'You didn't help with the siege of (V?)' early in the game, but had never been asked to help there. Also, F8 tells me that the game ends in 1475, but it looks like the last turn is actually 1270.

I was told about a crusade leaving from Oporto, but it hadn't happened yet - does it trigger? There were 8 level 3 musketmen waiting for something to do there.

Comment

Working...
      X