Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does having Multiple Religious Structures help in a city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does having Multiple Religious Structures help in a city?

I am Isabella and found all three (Buddism,Hinduism and Judaism) first

Would it help to build temples to all in a city or would that simply negate the effects of the previous?

Thanks

It may be a simply question to many, but I am just asking as the computer keeps prompting me to do so

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Religions are additive in vanilla Civ 3 in every aspect. Temples, Monasteries, and Free religion happiness is all cumulative.

Comment

Originally posted by Indon
      Religions are additive in vanilla Civ 3 in every aspect. Temples, Monasteries, and Free religion happiness is all cumulative.
      ok

how about CIV IV?

Comment

That’s what Indon meant. In Civ 4 each temple provides +1 happiness no matter what your state religion is or if you have free religion. Same goes with monasteries. Each one provides a bonus to research from what I have seen with the beaker count until Scientific Method.

The only religious building that doesn't completely stack are the Cathedral type buildings. Only the Cathedrals from your state religion will provide happiness, although they'll all provide culture. If you are free religion you only get the culture bonuses from the Cathedrals and no happieness benefit IIRC.

Comment

Don't forget Free Religion.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Ok

Lots to pick up in this awesome game

I have switched to starting with a civ with Mysticism but actually wish I had a leader trait with Creative and Spiritual (EDITED IN {Mysticism with a leader with Creative and Spiritual trait}

If I am not the first to find buddism or Hinduism or Judaism am I like done for ?

Is it an "absolute" to have to be the founder of the religion or just get it by someone else bringing it to your civilization? (Then is it a serious penalty to you for not discovering?)

Thanks for any help and Im pretty sure it is easy to ridicule just trying to leaarn.

I love Apolyton and Civilization and just trying to learn the teachings of the greats!

Gramps

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
              I have switched to starting with a civ with Mysticism but actually wish I had a leader trait with Creative and Spiritual (EDITED IN {Mysticism with a leader with Creative and Spiritual trait}

If I am not the first to find buddism or Hinduism or Judaism am I like done for ?
              Mysticism is always a good start on the first 3 religions. If by any chance you missed on those you're still on the good track for Christianity or Confucism. Simply beeline to Writing after you have Monotheism. The AI doesn't seem fond of going there early so you got a good chance.

Is it an "absolute" to have to be the founder of the religion or just get it by someone else bringing it to your civilization? (Then is it a serious penalty to you for not discovering?)
              No absolute, but you do miss out on religious income if you can found the religions' shrine (only buildable by a prophet in a holy city). Another option is conquering the holy city of your state religion if you missed on it, but wanted to keep the religion for diplomatic reasons.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Thanks Geomodder

Now

Is Religion a Must Have?

I understand Monetary wise it is good but if you dont get one then you not dead in the water, correct?

If a neighbor converts you then that is not the end of the game either, correct?

Thanks for the help

Gramps

Comment

There's one big advantage to letting your minions be converted, and that is that you have a friendly civ outthere for sure without much effort from your side. So you are correct.
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Is Religion a Must Have?
                    Not founding a religoin isn't as bad as not getting any religion for a long time. In many of my games Civs that are isolated and fail to found their own religion suffer because of it until missionaries are sent through caravels or astronomy opens it to spread spontaniously.

Founding a religion is a good idea but at the very least getting one to spread even if it is not your own is a benefit. Just having a state religion increases happiness just for its presense in a city and the inablility to use any religious civics can hamper growth.

I usually shoot for Hinduism or Judaism right off the bat and typically end up with Judaism. If I fail to get that researching writing then building the Oracle becomes top priority in order to get Theocracy or Code of Laws. I usually prefer Theocracy if there is an enemy I need to get rid of nearby, else Code of Laws although cheaper is better earlier on for the courthouse building.

Also in my experience founding too many religions can be a bad thing especially if you are isolated. I try to limit myself at 3. Times when I have founded 5 religions usually means everyone else is the same religion. The AI opponents are more unified with each other as a result. Although I guess if you are dominating it doesn't matter as much. I find its usually a good idea to switch to free religion in cases like this.

Comment

Getting a religion in one of your cities is a must, but fortunately random spreadings occur enough that a complete warmongerer isn't totally out of the loop. That being said, founding a religion has major benefits for early game culture and science and middle game income from the great prophet building.

I would say that financial or creative civs would benefit less from a religious build than the other traits.
                      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Founding a religion is very good for your income once you have a great prophet build a shrine in the holy city (and more income means you can expand more before the city maintanence chokes your research). Also, if you havr the holy city of your state religion, the fog of war is lifted on every city with your religion.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks

Comment

Working...
                          X