total noob, asking advice on mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• total noob, asking advice on mod

i dont have the first clue of how to change anything in the game, but i've gotten to the point that i need to change some of the rules because i just hate the way they are.

ive read up on editing files and whatnot (still lost)...but i was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice on the main areas i want to change:

first of all, i want to change basically everything about unit bonuses. (eg. i want to give horse units bonus to attack infantry, and improve their retreat rate, among many others). another idea is to make foot armies capable of building roads. this one i think would be a bit more tricky?

second i want to change a huge number of things about the civics. mainly i want to change bonuses but i also had a a pretty grandiose idea (that i know i wouldnt have the knowledge to pull off) for the civic "slavery". i want to be able when you capture a city, to "enslave" the populous. half the pop would then turn into "slave" units similar to civ3, and you could use them as workers or to hurry production at a rate of 100 hammers per unit. to complex?

third, i also want to change the tech tree, my idea is to make it neccesary to have more techs in a certain age before moving on (eg. iron working and other "end era" techs require more prerequisites), and also change some other things i think are stupid (calendar req. for plantation?)

i also want to slow the game time but speed the units up, to allow more action during each era. i want "basic" buildings to build much faster. (no reason a granery should take 400 years to build) one of my biggest beefs is that you fly thru the early eras way too fast.

do these sound like good ideas and can someone point me in the right direction? appreciate any help.

Nothing impossible or very difficult to mod in there.

Check the file CIV4PromotionInfos.xml in your Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Units folder for the promotions. Tweaking their effects is easy. Just mess with the numbers.

Check the file CIV4UnitInfos.xml in the same folder for which units gets which promotion for free (among many many other things).

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

Working...
    X