No announcement yet.

[Map Script] Tectonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1) Sometimes Hill generation gets outta control, I have seen hills in a 15 x 15 grid (and it can look very rectangular).
    On small maps with many players, this can indeed happen. Which settings (size/number of players/%water) do you get these on?

2) Tundra and ice generation seems almost non-present. I don't like the overabundance of tundra and ice in vanilla but a little more would be nice in tectonics. Personally would like to see deer and furs in grassland, plains, forest within a certain range of north south border (not always tundra).
    I put less ice and tundra due to popular demand. It's very hard to tune. I may add a setting for this but I'm not sure it'd be able to fit everyone's taste.

3) Alot of huge continents connect to the south or north border, sometimes in massive ways. Again not wholly bad but it should be toned down slightly to be more earthlike.
    Again, which settings do you use which lead to that?
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by jam3
      3) Alot of huge continents connect to the south or north border, sometimes in massive ways. Again not wholly bad but it should be toned down slightly to be more earthlike.
      I've seen this as well - it seems like larger continents almost always connect to either the north or south edge. Of course this makes for some interesting submarine use later in the game.

Settings:

Tectonics (duh)
      Standard or Large map (I've seen it on both)
      Earthlike (70% water)
      Normal Aridity

By the way, this is still the only map script I use. Great work - thanks yet again!
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Standard map/Large size with everything on defaults(70% water and default # of players) is where i get the clumping hills and the continents connecting to the N/S edge's.
        Last edited by jam3; August 9, 2007, 17:01.

Comment

• Continents that connect to one edge of the map don't strike me as irrealisitc (Earth in the Ice Age looked like that, and the Antarctic might spring to mind too). Some find them too common. I tried to relocate continents nearer the equator, but I'm afraid I'll get strange results if I push it too far.
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by jam3

Setting:
            Tectonics
            Huge
            70 & 60 % Water
            Normal Aridity
            18 Civs

I like this Script also.
            ONLY thing I do not like is how some times I would have a continent touching both the North and South Borders making it impossible to circle the globe with a ship.

Other than that, its a nice script so far.

Comment

• I uploaded a new version.
              This one adds more peaks (uses two passes of tectonics, with some erosion after the first one).
              There are also more hills due to fault lines being more common (mostly on bigger maps).
              I also corrected the starting plots code.
              Last, there is a Terra option. It's not really Earthlike in many places, but you've got North and South America with Andes and Rocky mountains, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia. Mountains in the old world may be a bit too peaky (particularly north east of Africa, and the Ural may be a bit too high). All civs start on the Old World.

Comment

• thanks for your hard work
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Uploaded 3.14.
                  It just fixes a bug in the starting plot generation which ruined the script for all but Terra option.

Comment

• Version 3.15 uploaded. A bit more water and less land on 60% water maps, and mostly Terra option reworked to get better continent shapes, and Antarctic out.
                    I wish I would keep Antarctic but it get settled by so many barbs it's silly.
                    I also divided the Terra option between normal start locations and only old world start locations.

Comment

• LDiCesare,

I just played and finished a game using your map script in 3.17. (Small, 6 civs, 70% water). For some reason, there were no horse resources available. I don't know if that was working as intended (or, indeed, if it was because of the code in your script,) but just wanted to let you know. I can upload a save if you'd like.
                      "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

• My script doesn't change the resources placement, so if there was no horse, it's because the default code that puts resources didn't put it, and that could happen with any standard map script. I can't do anything wrt that point since I want to keep the standard resources placement code.

Comment

• I've been playing it with the arrival of 3.17 and my main concern is that capitals on 70% water tend to start very close together, making the land rush a priority. I'm also not a big fan of the continents at the bottom/top of the world, but I can live with it. Only problem there is the occasional grassland tile in the midst of a land of ice.
                          Other than that, good job!
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• I'm loving this script in 3.17, it creates just the right kind of pangea maps with varied and interesting terrain. Its nice to see stuff like deserts and mountains actually helping to form civilization borders rather than being just a curiosity. Excellant work.
                            "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

• Version 3.16

I added more rivers. I actually tried to use a different algorithm, but it's crap, so just increased the numbers.
                              Terra option now has a nice looking Arabia instead of some landbridges and islands.

Comment

• Hi there
                                a question, is this map script an addition or does it modify the game? Actually the tectonicts script file already exists? Or do i understand that by replacing the file all map files generated in civ4 will look different?

Comment

Working...
                                X