Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Question] Any idea what "iPlacementOrder" is for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Any idea what "iPlacementOrder" is for?

I'm maling a world generator and I'm looking at the XML to learn more about what resources can go where and I came across "iPlacementOrder" in Civ4BonusInfos.xml.

Does anyone know what it's for? Anyone know of a good detail description of the XML files, at all?

Tom P.

My guess (and only a guess) would be that it determines the order in which resources are placed on maps. That is, resources with lower numbers get placed first, then in ascending order. A good way to make sure the 'necessary' resources (iron, oil, etc) get placed before the more optional ones.

Bh

Comment

I thought that too, and it holds: IRON is 0, COPPER and HORSES are 1, etc. until DRAMA, MUSIC, and MOVIES which are -1.

What the heck? Do they get placed first?

Comment

Those are the ones that don't get put on the map.

Comment

iPlacementOrder?

probably some new apple software for store management
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Yep. You guys are right: It has to do with the placement of the resources during the creation of a map. Here's the full breakdown if you're interested:

-1 = Not placed during map construction
            0 (1st) = Iron, Oil
            1 (2nd) = Copper, Horse
            2 (3rd) = Marble, Stone, (Salt in my mod)
            3 (4th) = Banana, Corn, Cow, Deer, Pig, Rice, Sheep, Wheat
            4 (5th) = Dye, Fur, Gems, Gold, Incense, Ivory, Silk, Silver, Spices, Sugar, Wine, (Coffee, Tobacco in my mod)
            5 (6th) = Clam, Crab, Fish, Whale, (Pearl in my mod)
            One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
            "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Originally posted by rjwoer
              Yep. You guys are right: It has to do with the placement of the resources during the creation of a map. Here's the full breakdown if you're interested:

-1 = Not placed during map construction
              0 (1st) = Iron, Oil
              1 (2nd) = Copper, Horse
              2 (3rd) = Marble, Stone, (Salt in my mod)
              3 (4th) = Banana, Corn, Cow, Deer, Pig, Rice, Sheep, Wheat
              4 (5th) = Dye, Fur, Gems, Gold, Incense, Ivory, Silk, Silver, Spices, Sugar, Wine, (Coffee, Tobacco in my mod)
              5 (6th) = Clam, Crab, Fish, Whale, (Pearl in my mod)
              Cool, so when are the -1's placed? When drama is discovered? Some other time? Never?

Thanks for the help, BTW. I Wonder how hard it would be to make my map generator extensable...

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah
                Cool, so when are the -1's placed? When drama is discovered? Some other time? Never?
                I think they are placed when you construct the appropiate national wonders (Broadway, Hollywood, Rock'n'Roll, IIRC).
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think they are placed when you construct the appropiate national wonders (Broadway, Hollywood, Rock'n'Roll, IIRC)
                  Yes, basically. Although they never really need to be placed: they are simply awarded to whichever player constructs those wonders--so they aren't "placed" in a map sense.
                  One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
                  "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Is there some sort of limit to the number of resources that end up on a map?

If placement order is just used to make sure that more important resources get placed, it seems pointless to have all of the sea resources on the same priority level? It could explain why it seems as if there are never very many of them in my games though.

Comment

I don't know about the built-in map generator but I am going for a two stage approach. At first I'll base resources on the size of the map. But my second phase will allow you to specify how many resources and what percentage of the resources will be what resource.

I don't think the built-in generator cares one way or the other.

Tom P.

Comment

Working...
                      X