Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant town building - where's the button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant town building - where's the button?

I want to add the opportunity to build hamlets/villages/towns with certain techs.

I have added a in CIV4BuildInfios.xml called BUILD_TOWN and assigned the town icon, the Industrialism tech and the shift+T button, but the order button does not show up. What do I need to do?
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

you need to edit the CIV4UnitInfos.xml file. Assuming you want workers to be able to build towns, here is what you need to do.
    1. edit Civ4UnitInfos.xml file
    2. search for unit_worker
    3. scroll down to the builds list
    4. copy and paste one of the builds to create a new one
    5. rename it to BUILD_TOWN

save it and it should work

Comment

Does not work yet - maybe I will have to play around with the hotkeys?

Comment

the hotkeys shouldn't matter. I've had several with the same hotkey and the buttons still showed up.

When you are testing, did you give yourself the industrialism tech?

Also are your modified files getting loaded?

If you're still having problems, attach the files you've changed and I'll see if I can find the problem.

Comment

Check carefully - I believe one of those XML files has the comment that it needs to be "synchronized with a .h file", or similar. If that's the one you want to modify, you'll have to keep your fingers crossed that the SDK includes the relevant .h.

Comment

Excuse me, but what is the SDK?

Comment

Originally posted by Optimizer
              Excuse me, but what is the SDK?
              Softwaer development kit. It will be released in January or February and will allow us to create modules (dll's) that attach directly to the program when it runs. It should really open up the possibilities for modding.

Roger Bacon

Comment

This sounds like an interesting idea (I'm dubing this the "Irvine" Mod)

The build times will need to be very high to compensate for the fact your jumping ahead of the normal town growth curve. Idealy you could have your workers accelerate these improvments with the same option, say every 2 turns of worker improvment subtracts 1 year from the upgrade time. Also we might want to look at having another level beyond Town perhaps "Burb" for additional production and comerce and a very long upgrade time.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Kidinnu, several of the files do say that but not CIV4UnitInfos.xml and CIV4BuildInfos.xml.

In my terraform mod, I have successfully added worker actions. The buttons show up after you enter the appropriate technological age.

Comment

I got it!

I needed to add

=TerrainMakesValid>
                    =TerrainType>TERRAIN_GRASS=/TerrainType>
                    =bMakesValid>1=/bMakesValid>
                    =/TerrainMakesValid>
                    =TerrainMakesValid>
                    =TerrainType>TERRAIN_PLAINS=/TerrainType>
                    =bMakesValid>1=/bMakesValid>
                    =/TerrainMakesValid>

in Civ4ImprovementInfos for Hamlets, Villages and Towns. Hurray!

(Here I have replaced the "less than" signs with = signs)

Comment

Working...
                    X