how to mod for civ 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to mod for civ 4

i have read several thread but there are not many that specify how to actualy mod, many talking aobut mods, about ideas buti mean if i where to mod a unit or a tech or something? what files i need to change how to change them?

There are two main ways to mod Civ IV (three if you consider the world builder to be "modding," which I don't): Via the XML files in ...Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Assets/XML directory; via the Python files in ...Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Assets/Python. Python is more difficult whereas XML is quite easy to grasp given a bit of time (especially if you are familiar with HTML).

I would suggest starting by simply exploring the XML directory (Buildings, Terrain, etc.,). Opening the files and seeing what's inside can trigger ideas and also allow you to see what kind of things can easily be adjusted.

When you save the files they are put (I believe automatically) into the _Civ4CustomAssets directory of your Civ IV directory. If not done automatically, this is where you should save or put the files, in the corresponding directory but under _Civ4CustomAssets.

When the game loads it checks for files in this CustomAssets area and uses them (if there are errors it will give a simple report on them).

You can get pretty complex with modding, but this is kind of the basic way to go about it, and a start.
    One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
    "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

um thats nice, btw what are the limits of modding with civ4 i mean what things they allow you to do and what not? also how do you make a mod so is loaded thru mods and not at the start?

Comment

Working...
      X